LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- When disaster strikes, be prepared with new Weather Channel® emergency readiness products created by Sakar International. These hand-crank flashlights and emergency alert and weather band radios leverage The Weather Channel's status as the best-known provider of weather information to equip consumers at home or away with key communication and lighting capabilities in the event of rough weather and natural disasters.
Available immediately, the line includes an Alert Radio, Portable Handheld Radio, Emergency Plug-In Flashlight, Portable Handheld Flashlight and all-in-one Emergency Radio/Flashlight/Phone Charger. The products, priced from $14.99 to $49.99 (MSRP), will be on display at the 2010 International CES show January 7-10 and are located at Booth #9841 in Central Hall at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
The new products are:
- The Weather Channel® Alert Radio (MSRP $39.99) - When a potential natural disaster approaches, the Alert Radio receives an automatic alert signal to notify area residents. The device's LCD screen provides details on the approaching disaster. Separate "warning," "watch" and "advisory" lights, coupled with a volume-controlled speaker system that emits a high-pitched alert noise, help keep residents informed.
- The Weather Channel® Portable Handheld Radio (MSRP $19.99) - Designed for fishermen, campers, hikers and others away from home, this rubberized AM/FM portable radio has a built-in seven-channel weather band that delivers National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) alerts and information in the palm of your hand whenever and wherever you need it.
- The Weather Channel® Emergency Plug-In Crank Flashlight (MSRP $14.99) - When plugged into a standard outlet, this handy flashlight automatically lights up as soon as your residence loses power. A crank on the side of the flashlight offers a manually generated battery recharge option if the blackout lasts more than 12 hours. Comes with "nightlight" option.
- The Weather Channel® Portable Handheld Crank Flashlight (MSRP $9.99) - Like the plug-in version, this portable handheld flashlight lasts for 12 hours and features a manual-recharge crank on the side. The palm-fitting design makes it easy to take with you around the house or outdoors.
- The Weather Channel® Emergency Radio/Flashlight/Phone Charger (MSRP $49.99) - Combining key elements from the rest of the Weather Channel line, this multifunctional emergency radio provides an AM/FM radio signal and seven-channel weather band in a part-rubberized, part-plastic casing. Five powerful LED lights located on the side of the radio combine for excellent flashlight functionality, and a crank on the other side offers manual battery recharge. As an added convenience, a USB port beneath the crank works as a mobile phone charger.
The products are the first to be delivered under The Weather Channel's licensing agreement with Sakar, announced in August. They further expand The Weather Channel's brand through weather-related products for consumers. The deal was brokered by Joy Tashjian Marketing Group (JTMG), the exclusive licensing representative for The Weather Channel.
About Sakar International
Sakar International Inc. designs and manufactures a wide range of technology, toy, and consumer electronic products. Founded in 1977, the company is the manufacturer of Vivitar camera equipment and accessories, a market leader in rechargeable batteries, and a producer of licensed products for leading consumer brands. Products range from digital cameras and camcorders with related accessories to computer, iPod, GPS and gaming accessories, binoculars, MP3 players, clock radios, gift and toy electronics. The company is privately held and headquartered in Edison, N.J. For more information, visit www.sakar.com.
About The Weather Channel Companies
The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) is made up of The Weather Channel Network (TWCN), The Weather Channel Interactive (TWCi), and Weather Services International (WSI). The Weather Channel® is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 98 million U.S. households. TWCN also operates Weatherscan, a 24-hour all-local weather network; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. TWCi, which includes the weather.com® site, The Weather Channel Desktop and The Weather Channel Mobile, reaches more than 38 million unique users online each month and is the most popular source of online weather, news and information according to Nielsen//NetRatings. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.
About Joy Tashjian Marketing Group, LLC
Joy Tashjian Marketing Group, LLC (JTMG) was formed in 1998 and is headed by company president Joy Tashjian. Recently awarded for "Retail Promotion of the Year" with Toys R Us for their work on "Deal or No Deal", JTMG specializes in the development, implementation and strategic retail development of entertainment trademarks for consumer products. JTMG represents many prestigious television properties and production studios: Agency of record for NBC Television, Bravo, Sci Fi, USA Network, and CNBC. Additionally, JTMG represents Endemol for "Fear Factor," "Deal or No Deal," "Big Brother," "1 vs. 100," Breakthrough Films and Television "Captain Flamingo" on Jetix, Miss BG and Atomic Betty" Shaftesbury for "Life with Derek" on Disney Channel, WGBH/PBS properties "Fetch", "Peep" and "Antiques Roadshow." JTMG is representing The Weather Channel on behalf of the NBC Universal Television, DVD, Music and Consumer Products Group.
SOURCE Sakar International Inc.