Weather app brings local and personalized forecasts to Apple TV users across the US
NEW YORK, Nov. 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ - The Weather Network, an industry leader in multi-platform weather information services, announced today that its weather application is now available on Apple TV. The Weather Network Apple TV app provides users with quick and easy access to localized weather forecasts and personalized content through its interactive app and live weather video channel.
"The Weather Network team is dedicated to providing users with the most compelling consumer experience possible, and Apple has helped us deliver on this promise," said Naomi Lipowski, Director TV Apps and Emerging Platforms, Pelmorex Media Inc. "This marks the first time The Weather Network application will be available on Apple TV, and we look forward to continuing our partnership as we bring new technology and weather services to Americans."
The Weather Network's inaugural Apple TV app is the most recent addition to the company's rapidly growing app family, solidifying its position as an international leader in weather TV apps with services currently offered in North America and Europe, and showcases The Weather Network's commitment to deliver a great consumer experience using cutting-edge Over the Top (OTT) technology.
"The interactive TV app market is a fast-moving category, and as television viewing habits continue to evolve, we will continue to pursue opportunities that will help us remain on the forefront of where our users are headed," said Pierre Morrissette, Chairman, President and CEO, Pelmorex Media Inc. "The Apple TV app is just the next step in The Weather Network's continued leadership in international weather apps."
The Apple TV app brings The Weather Network's innovative weather app to life on the biggest screen in the house. Consisting of both a live channel and an interactive app, users are able to generate on-demand access to live weather coverage for a specific location, easily access their favorite weather content and receive up-to-date information for their local area. Using a simple, dynamic interface, the app complements The Weather Network's current app platforms and provides users access to key weather data, warnings and alerts through a click of the television remote. Designed for an up to 10-foot TV viewing experience, key features include:
- IP targeted localized forecasts: Available for both the Live Channel and interactive app, personalized and localized forecasts are available, showing current and upcoming weather conditions.
- PointCast technology: Available for both the Live Channel and interactive app, PointCast technology provides weather information as close as 0.6 miles of where you are using a US zip code.
- Enhanced weather content: Current, Hourly, 36 Hours and 14 Day forecasts are provided for a user's favorite locations.
- Video gallery: A collection of video on demand clips, including a Global Force of Nature video series, showcase images of the latest active and major weather events happening around the world.
- Warnings/Alerts: Keeping consumers safe by allowing them to stay abreast of incoming active weather.
The Weather Network Apple TV app is available on iTunes. Check out the features here.
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Celebrating 26 years, Pelmorex Media Inc. is the parent company of The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, Eltiempo.es and Wetterplus.de. Pelmorex operates in the U.S., Canada, Spain, the U.K. and Germany. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada's most popular weather and information services on TV, web and smartphone apps. Eltiempo is Spain's leading multi-platform weather information provider. Pelmorex also operates Canada's National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System (Alert Ready) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies.
SOURCE Pelmorex Media Inc.