TACOMA, Wash., Sept. 26, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Tacoma exhibits its art for all to see, with sculptures and murals at eye level throughout the city. Even work by hometown glass-art legend Dale Chihuly adorns unexpected public places—a bar, a college dorm, a federal courthouse, a movie theater and more.
While Tacoma's art pedigree is on display year-round, there's no better time to visit than during Tacoma Arts Month, October 1–31, 2017. During the annual celebration, local artists open their studios, visitors pick up paintbrushes, and special performances and events offer a window into Tacoma's art world.
You'll want to stay a night or two to immerse yourself in Tacoma's artsy side. Visit www.traveltacoma.com for trip-planning tips, hotels, an events calendar and more.
Six museums spill over into glass, bronze and pop-up displays downtown
Six major museums in downtown Tacoma showcase some of the world's most unique artwork and finest collections. Beyond museum walls, public art enlivens Tacoma's urban landscape:
- Chihuly Walking Tour. Meander through a downtown tour of Chihuly's glass art. The audio tour offered through the Tacoma Art Museum lets you hear directly from the artist about his inspirations, collaborations and processes.
- Prairie Line Trail. Tacoma's historic rail line corridor has been transformed into a signature public space. The mile-long Prairie Line Trail is filled with art and history, and links Tacoma's waterfront, downtown, University of Washington Tacoma and the historic Brewery District.
- Spaceworks Tacoma. Empty storefronts and vacant spaces are converted into dynamic points of interest with creative businesses, art installations, and temporary projects and events. Build your own tour using the city's online map.
- Online Public Art Tour. Create an art itinerary that feeds your soul, from gritty garage art to a bronze mermaid. The online map spans Tacoma and parts of Pierce County.
- Third Thursday. Enjoy special events, activities and a free evening at Tacoma's museums every third Thursday of the month, 5 to 8 p.m. Local galleries are also open after hours. Stop in, shop and mingle with artists.
Tacoma's art scene is vibrant, booming and waiting to be explored. Join the celebration during Tacoma Arts Month and find out for yourself.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/theres-public-art-around-every-corner-in-tacoma-washington-300525506.html
SOURCE Travel Tacoma