SANTA BARBARA, Calif., Aug. 31, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The onslaught of cyberattacks has been relentless in recent years. A 2014 Gallup poll found that 62% of Americans worry about having their computers or smartphones hacked and their information stolen, while 69% worry about having the credit information they have used at stores stolen by computer hackers. Even with this revelation, a recent Consumer Reports survey found that 62% of consumers have done nothing to protect their privacy online. The issue for consumers then becomes knowing what makes them vulnerable to a cyberattack, and how to protect themselves.
Cybersecurity expert, Tony Perez, understands this fact better than most. "The most important factor in personal safety online is being proactive, not reactive," Perez states. Through extensive research Perez has come up with five key tips on how to get started with proactive online protection:
- Take all financial info off of digital devices. Make paper copies of credit cards and other important financial tools, or create a thumb drive backup, and keep them locked in a fireproof safe.
- Turn off "automatic updates" on all computers and mobile devices. "Automatic updates leave the door open for 'man-in-the-middle' exploits," Perez says.
- Delete any unknown email correspondence, and empty your computer or devices' trash at least once a week.
- Do not unnecessarily keep old emails. If they are important, print and file them safely, or create a thumb drive backup.
- Use different apps from different locations for various services such as mail, file storage, and logging web searches. "If one service is breached, at least all info is not linked to a single account," Perez says.
Along with a team of cybersecurity experts, Perez has created NetLok™ (www.NetLok.com): a revolutionary new cyber security system that helps combat identity theft and unauthorized use of information by utilizing a patent-pending picture authentication system. With NetLok's™ unique Photo Authentication Technology™, Perez and company are helping consumers to secure their privacy and stay one step ahead of digital thieves.
For more information about Tony Perez and NetLok™, visit www.NetLok.com or call (805) 283-4100. For media inquiries and requests for hi-res images or to schedule an online demo or speak with NetLok™ founder and CEO Tony Perez, please contact Rajan De Los Santos at email@example.com or (805) 969-3744.