COPENHAGEN, Denmark, April 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
Writing a modern résumé may be seen as a challenge for most, especially for those who are not proficient in creating professional documents.
In order to solve these problems, Novorésumé - a young Danish company that aims make résumé writing a fun activity, has conducted a research with HR experts and employers from multiple countries to find out how the perfect résumé should look like in 2017.
The main findings that most of the professionals agree with, are the following:
- Whenever possible, try to keep your résumé layout to one-page, especially if you do not have more than 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Have a contact section at the top where your phone number, city you live in and your email address are always included. Beside these, include 2 extra social media profiles depending on your industry such as: Twitter, Github, LinkedIn, Facebook or the link to your personal website.
- Instead of writing an objective which has become obsolete, focus on a professional summary which should include critical information about you in 2-3 sentences. It should be like an elevator pitch for a business idea, but in this case the business idea is you.
- In the Work Experience section, focus on your achievements rather than your tasks. Start every sentence with an action verb and include numbers and percentages whenever possible.
- Use of icons and too many infographics should be limited. It is alright to use the icons in the contact section, but including an icon instead of the skill/software name can be confusing for the HR recruiters as they may not recognize it. In addition to this, icons are not readable by ATS systems.
- Work Experience and Skills/Professional Expertise sections should always be the first on your application if you have relevant work experience. As a graduate, you should start with your Education and Skills.
- Personalize every résumé for each specific job you are applying for. It is important to carefully read the job ad and include all the main skills/experience needed that you posses.
- The background of the résumé should be white so that it doesn't affect its readability or distract the recruiters from the content.
- Depending the country you are applying in, you might do some research to whether or not to include a picture, but if you decide to include one, make sure it is a professional one.
- If you already have a Bachelor or Master Degree do not include your high-school education. As a Senior, it is enough to include just your most recent and relevant degree, without the courses or any extra information.
- Do not include in your résumé: Salary negotiable, Reference available upon request, unprofessional email address, that you were fired, acronyms and jargons.
After the research, Novorésumé team prepared some professional résumé examples in order to help everyone understand how a résumé should look like in 2017.
If you think your résumé needs a new layout, you can easily start now by selecting one of the following résumé templates that have been designed by a professional graphic designer following the advice and principles imposed by HR experts in 2017.