Tim Hortons Inc. Named to Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America
Sep 19, 2011, 04:42 ET
TORONTO, Sept. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ - Tim Hortons Inc. (TSX: THI), (NYSE: THI) today announced that it has been notified that it has been added for the first time to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America (DJSI North America)SM.
Launched in 1999, the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes are the first global indexes tracking the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. The DJSI North America tracks the performance of the top 20% of the 600 largest companies from Canada and the United States in the Dow Jones Global Total Stock Market Index that lead the field in terms of sustainability.
Tim Hortons is one of the few restaurant companies on the DJSI North America. The Company consistently scored higher than industry group averages across most dimensions evaluated in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
"Being recognized as a sustainability leader through our inclusion in the DJSI North America is a wonderful acknowledgement for all the effort Tim Hortons and our Restaurant Owners have dedicated to being a sustainable and responsible organization," said Paul House, Executive Chairman, and President and CEO. "We also realize there is still a great deal of work to do as part of our sustainability journey, and we are excited about that."
Tim Hortons and our family of Restaurant Owners are passionate about working with the communities we serve, the people within those communities, and - through our environmental initiatives - the planet itself. The Company's sustainability activities are focused within its "Making A True Difference" framework which is also the theme of its first Sustainability and Responsibility Report, released in 2011. Tim Hortons is currently working towards achieving various goals including:
- Reducing energy and water use for corporate buildings and new restaurant construction by 5% by the end of 2011
- Reducing packaging within the supply chain and manufacturing operations by 5% by the end of 2012
- Developing and implementing an independent audit and verification program for coffee sourcing by the end of 2011
- Working towards having at least 17,000 economically disadvantaged children participate in Tim Horton Children's Foundation camps and programs, annually, by the end of 2013
- Investing a minimum of $15 million through national, regional and local community initiatives in 2011
- Providing menu options that meet or exceed nutritional guidelines and educating guests on these products
More information about Tim Hortons sustainability efforts can be found at http://sustainabilityreport.timhortons.com/index.html.
Tim Hortons Inc. Overview
Tim Hortons is one of the largest publicly-traded restaurant chains in North America based on market capitalization, and the largest in Canada. Operating in the quick service segment of the restaurant industry, Tim Hortons appeals to a broad range of consumer tastes, with a menu that includes premium coffee, flavored cappuccinos, specialty teas, home-style soups, fresh sandwiches, wraps, hot breakfast sandwiches and fresh baked goods, including our trademark donuts. As of July 3rd, 2011, Tim Hortons had 3,811 systemwide restaurants, including 3,189 in Canada and 622 in the United States. More information about the Company is available at www.timhortons.com
SOURCE Tim Hortons Inc.
Share this article