NEW YORK, Dec. 14, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- While everyone is preparing for the holiday season, are you singing to a different tune as you stress about your upcoming move? Moving can be demanding on its own, plus combined with the stresses of preparing for the holidays, can be as challenging as finding that one perfect gift for someone who already has everything.
Relocation.com's team of experts has come up with a list of moving dos and don'ts to keep you from turning into the Grinch this holiday season.
For most Americans moving during the holidays means moving in cold weather conditions with "Jack Frost nipping at their nose." For a cold winter move:
- Do make sure to have your utilities—especially the heat—operational prior to your move. You don't want to freeze once you arrive at your new place!
- Don't pack all your warm clothes away. Be sure to have plenty of jackets and sweaters that are easily accessible.
Making a List and Checking It Twice:
Plan ahead and be prepared so you can continue enjoying all of the holiday celebrations, despite your move.
- Don't wait until the last minute to contact moving companies, gather boxes or begin packing.
- Do transport necessities and precious items yourself that can't be replaced – i.e. photo albums, personal documents, financial information, expensive jewelry and other sentimental items.
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like "Home:"
One of the hardest parts of moving during the holidays can be leaving friends and family behind.
- Do find ways to involve your kids in the moving process and once you're moved, try to keep family traditions alive in your new home to help ease the transition (a tip from Sharon Asher, Relocation.com's Founder).
- Don't forget how important it is to stay in touch with family and friends once you've moved – take advantage of convenient services like Skype or Google Video and Voice Chat.
Relocation.com is the largest online marketplace connecting consumers who are moving locally, nationally or internationally with professionals that can best service their needs. Working with many leading moving and storage companies, Relocation.com provides free quotes from quality, professional companies who can service consumers during their upcoming move. It is focused on helping make the relocation process easier and less challenging for the 40 million people moving each year. Relocation.com offers comprehensive information, tools and resources to help consumers compare, connect and learn about products and services from hundreds of relevant providers. Named by Inc. magazine three years in a row as one of America's fastest-growing companies, the company was founded in 2000 by online moving industry pioneer, chairman Sharon Asher, and is based in New York. For more information, visit www.relocation.com.