RACINE, Wis., June 23, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- With temperatures rising and more people heading outdoors for summer fun, the mosquito experts from the SC Johnson Institute of Insect Science for Family Health – one of the world's largest private, urban entomology research centers – offer their 60 years of insect expertise to help consumers protect themselves against mosquito bites.
June 25 marks the start of National Mosquito Control Awareness Week (NMCAW). SC Johnson, the maker of trusted brands like Raid® and OFF!®, reminds consumers that educational materials and resources are available in 13 languages to help families protect themselves against mosquitoes, particularly those that may carry diseases like West Nile virus, Zika virus and dengue fever. Please go to www.scjohnson.com/mosquitoes for more information.
"Our insect scientists really know mosquitoes," said Kelly M. Semrau, spokesman for SC Johnson. "They have helped compile tips and facts so families can easily find information on avoiding mosquito bites. Summertime should be about backyard picnics, gardening and playing outside, without pesky mosquitoes."
- There are 3,500 species of mosquitoes and they are found in every part of the world.
- Only the female mosquito bites – they need your blood for egg production.
- Mosquitoes can detect you from up to 120 feet downwind.
- Consumers should use personal repellents on their skin and clothing – be sure to read and follow the label carefully (some repellents should not be used with rayon, spandex, acetate or other synthetic fabrics).
- Look for personal repellents in pump sprays, aerosols and towelettes that contain the active ingredients DEET or Picaridin.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks and hats, and tuck your shirt in and tuck pants into socks.
- If the area where you sleep is exposed to the outdoors, use a bed net and cover baby carriers.
- Cover any gaps in windows or doors, and make sure screens on windows and doors are working properly.
- Inside your home, use instant spray action products designed to kill certain species of mosquitoes on contact.
- Eliminate standing water – which can be found in old tires, buckets, toys and bird baths – around the outside of your home where certain species of mosquitoes can breed. Also, dump collected water at least twice a week.
- When using any products indoors or outdoors, be sure to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions on the label.
The 21st anniversary of NMCAW comes at a critical time when mosquito-borne diseases are a concern for governments and healthcare organizations around the world. The scientists at the SC Johnson Institute of Insect Science for Family Health are dedicated to helping consumers understand how to best protect themselves against mosquitoes that may carry disease, and helping to create products consumers can trust for their pest control needs.
For decades, SC Johnson has led many educational campaigns to increase awareness of best practices to help protect families from insect-borne diseases such as Zika, dengue, yellow fever, West Nile and Chikungunya. SC Johnson is also known for its philanthropic actions such as donating tens of millions of company products such as OFF!®, Raid®, Baygon® and Autan® around the world to help those who cannot afford personal and spatial repellents or insecticides. SC Johnson recently announced that it has exceeded a 2016 global commitment to donate at least $15 million in pest control products and financial support to help at-risk families combat mosquitoes that may carry Zika virus.
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care, as well as professional products. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE® and RIDSECT®. The 131-year-old company, which generates $10 billion in sales, employs approximately 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/to-avoid-mosquitoes-get-smart-300478642.html
SOURCE SC Johnson