PLYMOUTH, Wis., Nov. 30, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The holiday party season, and all the cooking and baking that comes with it, is upon us. Whether you're preparing for a family gathering or whipping up hors d'oeuvres for an office cocktail party, it's the perfect time to show off your culinary prowess.
As busy holiday schedules offer limited time to plan and cook, Top Chef alum Tiffany Derry has partnered with Sargento to help you check at least one thing off that holiday to-do list. Derry's simple "Top Chef" worthy recipes will make any seasonal get-together an instant success, no matter what your culinary skill level.
"Holiday get-togethers are the right opportunity to get creative and try your hand at new, unique recipes," says Derry, a contestant and "Fan Favorite" on Bravo's Top Chef, Season 7 and finalist on Top Chef All-Stars. "Fortunately, you don't have to spend all day in the kitchen to make a delicious, gourmet dish. Sometimes the easiest recipes make for the tastiest meals."
Known for her style of mingling the casual with the upscale, one of Derry's signature culinary tricks is to elevate traditional recipes by adding one or two delicious components, like cheese.
"People love cheese, but often don't realize how many different ways it can be used in recipes. Natural, never processed cheese, like Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Parmesan Cheese, adds rich, authentic flavor to traditional stuffing and even desserts. It also can serve as a great alternative for salt in many recipes, like my Pepper Jack Cheese Souffle. Trust me, your guests will be pleasantly surprised," adds Derry.
Don't believe her? Derry's Pepper Jack Cheese Souffle holiday recipe sounds sophisticated and complex, but contains simple ingredients and minimal steps that will leave your guests wondering if you've secretly attended culinary school.
Pepper Jack Cheese Souffle
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups Sargento® ChefStyle Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 egg white
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 2 minutes while stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Add black pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and gradually add cheese mixture. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Lightly butter a 6-cup souffle dish and dust with flour. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture, 1/3 of beaten whites at a time. Pour egg mixture into dish; it will be 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake 45 minutes until puffy and golden. Serve immediately.
- A souffle needs a straight-sided, round dish to rise properly. It will at least double in size as it bakes.
- You can use 6 ramekins for individual souffles and bake 25 minutes.
About Sargento Foods Inc.
Sargento Foods Inc. has demonstrated its passion for cheese and cheese-based meal solutions throughout its history. Founded in 1953 in Plymouth, Wis., Sargento is a leading manufacturer, packager and marketer of natural shredded, sliced and snack cheeses, cheese appetizers, ingredients, sauces and other culinary solutions. Sargento is owned and operated by the Gentine family, and has net sales of more than $900 million. For more information, please visit www.sargento.com.
About Chef Tiffany Derry
Chef Tiffany Derry is the co-founder of the Tiffany Derry Company (TDC) with Entrepreneur John Huffman IV. TDC is a holding company established to support Tiffany's business ventures; which include, a television show, a digital series, partnerships with brands, event bookings and ownership in the restaurant Private|Social. Tiffany's big break came when she was selected to compete in Season 7 of Bravo's Top Chef. Tiffany was voted "fan favorite" and returned in Season 8 for "Top Chef All-Stars". For more visit www.tiffanyderry.com
For More Information:
SOURCE Sargento Foods Inc.