Feeding America Asks The Nation To Help Millions At Risk of Hunger
CHICAGO, Dec. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As the holidays quickly approach, Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization, urges everyone to help the millions of Americans who are currently struggling to feed their families
"We ask everyone to pause at this time of celebration and reflection to consider these facts about hunger in our nation," said Vicki Escarra, president and CEO of Feeding America:
- 1 in 10 families enrolled in the Food Stamp Program is Latino.
- 1 in 9 white (non-Hispanic) children receive food from Feeding America.
- 1 in 8 Americans receive food from Feeding America.
- 1 in 7 Americans is enrolled in the Food Stamp program.
- 1 in 6 Americans is food insecure.
- 1 in 5 American Children live in food insecure households.
- 1 in 4 African American households is food insecure.
- 1 in 3 Latino Children receive food from Feeding America.
- 1 in 2 Children living in Zavala and Starr Counties in the State of Texas is food insecure.
- Every single American can help fight hunger in their local community by learning how to advocate, donate or volunteer at Feeding America.org.
"The issue of hunger is especially critical during the holiday season when public schools are closed and the need for emergency food is particularly acute. The United States Department of Agriculture reports that nearly 49 million Americans are facing hunger. Of those, more than 16 million are children," Escarra said.
"Every $1 donated to our holiday Give a Meal campaign helps us provide eight meals to people in need," said Vicki Escarra, president and CEO of Feeding America. "We encourage people to also visit feedingamerica.org, so they can learn how to help out in their local communities by volunteering or advocating on behalf of the hungry."
About Feeding America
Feeding America provides low-income individuals and families with the fuel to survive and even thrive. As the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, our network members supply food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors. Serving the entire United States, more than 200 member food banks support 61,000 agencies that address hunger in all of its forms. For more information on how you can fight hunger in your community and across the country, visit http://www.feedingamerica.org. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/FeedingAmerica or follow our news on Twitter at twitter.com/FeedingAmerica.
SOURCE Feeding America