NEW YORK, Jan. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Tough Mudder debuts the highlights for their 2015 event season, which will include the launch of all-new obstacles, new corporate partnerships, international expansion into Mexico and the launch of a brand extension dubbed "Urban Mudder." As the endurance series approaches its two millionth participant, these initiatives expand its position as the world's largest event of its kind.
In 2015, Tough Mudder events around the globe will feature a 10+ mile course littered with world-class obstacles designed to test both physical and mental strength. More than 90% of participants are expected to register as part of a team; to encourage teamwork and camaraderie over competition, the events remain untimed.
"In the past five years, Tough Mudder has established itself as the industry leader in the world of obstacle course challenges," said Will Dean, Tough Mudder's co-founder and CEO. "For 2015, we're redefining that role with a series of changes designed to make every element of the Tough Mudder experience more badass, more exciting and more team-focused. To us, that begins with delivering the most creative obstacles ever put on course."
All-New Obstacles Redefine the On-Course Experience
Tough Mudder's entire obstacle menu has been revamped for 2015. The never-before-seen challenges include:
- Brand new obstacles: Ten exhilarating new obstacles will hit courses, including "King of the Swingers," a pendulum swing off a 12-foot platform; "Dead Ringer," a transverse across a series of inclined pegs using handheld rings; and "Cry Baby," a tunnel crawl through a tear-gas-like substance.
- Reinvented obstacles: Ice water plunge "Arctic Enema" and slicked quarter pipe "Everest" are among the signature Tough Mudder obstacles that have been redesigned. "2.0" versions will offer new twists on the classic challenges, pushing participants to work as a team.
- Mudder Village obstacles: Spectators and participants alike will be able to try their hand at obstacles like "Ring of Fire," a 20-foot drop through fire into a vat of water; "Fire in Your Hole," a steep water slide through flames; and "Human Hamster Wheel," powered by Chipotle, a test of strength on a revolving set of monkey bars – a selection of which will be available in the base area at each event.
"The obstacle innovations we've made for 2015 will encourage participants to work together more than ever before, while still providing the personal challenge people have come to expect from Tough Mudder," said Nolan Kombol, Head of Innovation at Tough Mudder. "We're thrilled to provide a fresh experience for returning Mudders and 20 new reasons for first-timers to finally take the plunge."
On- and Off-Site Upgrades Redefine the Team Experience
The company has also introduced enhanced participation and recruitment incentives for the upcoming season. To aid those individuals and teams resolving to complete a Tough Mudder in 2015, the company is now offering:
- Team Incentives: New discounts are available for teams of five who sign up for an event together, as well as corporate event packages for companies and larger organizations.
- Improved Mudder Village: To expand the experience for both supporters and fans, this year's central meeting point will feature spectator-friendly obstacles and even more ways to get involved on the sidelines as well as a Chipotle Mexican Grill Taco Bar serving up delicious tacos to the hungry masses.
- Enhanced Charity Fundraising: Recognizing a huge opportunity to unite the passion of participants and their supporters, Tough Mudder has resolved to create an even greater charity impact. Through a new partnership with CrowdRise rolling out over the coming months, Tough Mudder will provide the opportunity for teams to raise more money than they ever thought possible.
- Volunteers: A wealth of new volunteer experiences are available for those looking for a behind-the-scenes introduction to the event and a discount on registration.
- Free Event Photos: Once the 2015 resolution is achieved, participants will be able to commemorate it with complimentary photos of themselves in action on course, provided by Gameface Media.
New Partnerships Enhance Participant Experience
To further improve the participant experience, Tough Mudder will sign on for new corporate partnerships and participation opportunities. These partners will join the returning roster of companies including global partner Under Armour and U.S. partners Wheaties, MET-Rx, Muscle Monster and Oberto Beef Jerky. As part of Oberto's 2015 "You Get Out What You Put In" marketing campaign, the company will air commercials nationally featuring Stephen A. Smith and Tough Mudder athletes Amelia Boone and Ryan Atkins.
The range of industry-leading brands to unite with Tough Mudder this year include:
- Shock Top: The refreshingly unfiltered wheat beer has come onboard as the official beer sponsor of Tough Mudder—uniting adventurous, outgoing beer drinkers and athletes looking for new experiences. Shock Top will host a world-class beer garden experience in Mudder Village, where participants and spectators alike will be able to enjoy Shock Top's full portfolio, including Shock Top Belgian White and special Limited Edition brews.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill: Tough Mudder is partnering with Chipotle Mexican Grill to give away a trip for two to the Australia Tough Mudder of the winner's choice. The prize includes air transportation, first-class hotel accommodations, ground transportation, $2,500 spending money, and free entries to the event. The national promotion will take place in all Chipotle restaurants from 4/6 to 4/26 and details will be announced soon at ToughMudder.com and Chipotle.com.
- Radisson: One of the most refreshed hotel brands in North America, Radisson will be the official hotel sponsor of Tough Mudder, offering participants an upscale hotel experience with bold and contemporary lobbies, guest rooms, bars restaurants and meeting spaces. The brand will also be represented on Everest 2.0.
- Cellucor: The award-winning, safe and effective performance lifestyle supplement brand has signed on as a global partner. America's Number 1 Pre-Workout Brand will be activating worldwide, offering premium product to participants before and during the event, including C4 and Alpha Amino.
- Mohawk Industries: Mohawk is installing its SmartStrand Forever Clean carpet on the finish line of several U.S. and international Tough Mudder events to prove it is the toughest, easiest to clean carpet on the planet. Throughout 2015, Mohawk will support its challenges with social sweepstakes, blogger campaigns and on-site experiences.
- Britvic PLC: The Tough Mudder family of brands is launching a global partnership with one of the leading global soft drinks companies, Britvic PLC, to develop a custom event. Full details will be announced in February.
In 2015, Tough Mudder will also work with an international partner to deliver its world class events in Mexico for the first time. Through its partner Apodaca Entertainment Group, Tough Mudder events will come to the Monterrey, Mexico City, and Guadalajara areas in late summer and early fall this year.
Expanded Event Portfolio Challenges Participants in Even More Ways
The Tough Mudder family of events, which grew in 2013 to include Mudderella (a 5-8 mile course designed by women for women) will continue to expand in 2015. In addition to 50+ Tough Mudder events around the globe in 2015, keep an eye out for future offerings, including:
- Urban Mudder: Tough Mudder's "cousin in the city," Urban Mudder will bring a 5-6 mile course close to home for city dwellers, featuring brand new obstacles – that do not include mud, electricity or swimming – and a blown-out festival experience. Registration will open next month for the debut event, to be held in New York City on July 25.
- Mudderella: The female-focused event series will more than double in size, with 14+ events to be held in 2015, including the first Australian location.
- World's Toughest Mudder: The capstone of each Tough Mudder season, World's Toughest Mudder is the only competitive Tough Mudder event, crowning the man, woman, and team who log the most laps of an obstacle-heavy 5-mile course over 24 hours. Presented by Cellucor, the event will return to Lake Las Vegas this fall with a redesigned course and host of top-secret exclusive obstacles.
"It's clear that there's an incredible demand for what Tough Mudder offers – a fun, team-oriented challenge that tests both physical and mental strength," said Alex Patterson, VP of Brand. "Yet fitness is not one-size-fits-all, and we constantly hear from people looking for different types of challenges. We continue to develop new events to meet their demand."
For more information on the 2015 Tough Mudder season, visit www.toughmudder.com. Participant and spectator registrations are now open for 40 events, with more to open in the coming weeks. To join the conversation, follow Tough Mudder on Facebook at facebook.com/toughmudder, on Twitter @ToughMudder, and on Instagram @Tough_Mudder.
About Tough Mudder:
Tough Mudder LLC was founded in 2010 by Will Dean and Guy Livingstone. Considered "Probably the Toughest Event on the Planet," each Tough Mudder endurance challenge tests participants' toughness, fitness, strength, stamina, mental grit and teamwork. In 2015, Tough Mudder will host 50+ events in countries worldwide. For the schedule of 2015 event dates and locations, visit www.ToughMudder.com.
Carol Gottshall, Media Relations Manager, Tough Mudder
[email protected] / 347-767-5934
SOURCE Tough Mudder