SAN FRANCISCO, April 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The deal experts at Travel Ticker®, a leading inspirational travel website, today announced that they have teamed up with Education.com, the go-to website for involved parents of school-age kids, to provide the top destinations that provide opportunities for both travel deals and enjoyable learning experiences. San Francisco and New York lead the list, while Miami, Chicago and San Diego also make the cut for the best combination of educational experiences and value. By providing this guide to budget-friendly "edutainment," Travel Ticker and Education.com can help parents to not only cut costs on their family vacations, but also to foster a love for travel and hands on learning.
"We want travelers to know that an educational and fun family vacation doesn't have to mean a big budget or take tons of planning time," said Angela Lyda, Senior Editor of Travel Ticker. "Our team of experts is constantly negotiating the best family-friendly deals available, with great 'edutainment' factors for the kids and adults alike. That way, there's always an affordable vacation ready for those parents who want their kids to have so much fun, they won't even realize how much they learned until after the trip. "
"Travel is a terrific way to bring learning to life for your kids," said Danielle Wood, Editor-in-Chief of Education.com. "Sneaking in a little learning can be as simple as giving your kids destination-focused printables and activities for the car or plane ride, or as elaborate as creating a vacation itinerary centered around your child's Social Studies, English, or Science curriculum. No matter how you choose to do it, giving your kids the opportunity to experience the world they learn about in the classroom is enormously valuable."
Below is a list of the top five educational family vacations, with deals, tips and activities from the experts at Travel Ticker and Education.com. Click on the deal or family activity tip for more information. For a complete list of family travel deals currently available on Travel Ticker, visit http://www.travel-ticker.com/Theme/Family_Travel.
1. San Francisco – The City by the Bay, steeped in history and family-friendly cultural experiences, tops Travel Ticker's "edutainment" list. From the 1800's gold rush to the impact of Silicon Valley innovation today, California's history will be in almost every kid's curriculum. Take a ferry to Alcatraz Island, walk along the Golden Gate Bridge, ride a cable car and explore the interactive Exploratorium at the Palace of Fine Arts. Or hop in the car and take a short drive to the Redwood National Forests, Monterey Bay Aquarium and a number of California Missions.
2. New York City – Like San Francisco, New York offers something for everyone, including an incredibly rich opportunity for field learning. Kids will love exploring Central Park and taking in a matinee Broadway show, but they'll also be wowed by Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, and the hands-on exhibits at the Museum of Moving Image. With its skyscrapers, world-renowned museums and international landmarks, there's always plenty to see and do in New York City.
3. Miami – Third on the list, Florida is a family vacation playground, but the state is also steeped in history, with a wide variety of vibrant ethnic groups and a wealth of astounding natural beauty for kids to learn from. Take in the Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve, year-round Miami festivals, Dolphin Research Center or take a short drive to the NASA Kennedy Space Center.
4. Chicago – The Windy City takes the fourth spot on the list. Visit the cluster of world-class museums at Museum Campus, or play with the Art Institute of Chicago's many hands-on studios and exhibits for kids. The legendary Chicago Theater has shows and events for all ages, and you can get a taste of musical diversity at one of Chicago's four annual music festivals.
5. San Diego – With a sunny climate that never varies more than ten degrees from moderate, San Diego is also a learning playground for kids and rounds out the top five list. Not only is it the perfect place to take the family any time of year for the weather and beaches, but everyone can have a blast exploring the internationally-recognized San Diego Zoo, Sea World, the interactive Children's Discovery Center at the Museum of Man, and the Children's Pool in La Jolla. Or let the kids' imaginations and creativity run wild at Lego Land.
*Prices are per night, based on availability, and do not include additional taxes and fees. Other restrictions may apply. Please see site for more details.
Travel Ticker is an online inspirational travel website that is home to some of the best hand-picked, insider deals at many of the world's favorite destinations. With an ear to the ground and an eye for the unique, Travel Ticker's experts provide users with a geo-targeted platform to browse for researched travel bargains, the latest travel trends, and editorial insight. Established in 2006 as a travel newsletter and in 2008 as a standalone website, Travel Ticker is an independent business unit of The Hotwire Group. For more information, visit us at http://www.travel-ticker.com/ and follow us on Twitter (@travel_ticker).
Travel Ticker and the Travel Ticker logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. CST# 2053390-40
With more than three million visitors a month, Education.com is the go-to web destination for involved parents. Working at the crossroads where parenting and education meet, Education.com gives parents the information they need to help their kids reach their full potential and the ideas they want to make learning together fun. From kindergarten readiness through college prep, Education.com offers parenting and education articles; high quality, educational activities, printables, and worksheets; engaging video content; a rich community experience; and a resource that provides qualitative and quantitative information about schools across the country. Education.com was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Redwood City, CA. The company is backed by leading venture capital firms, Azure Capital Partners, TeleSoft Partners, and California Technology Ventures. For more information, please visit www.education.com, follow us on Twitter @education_com, or become a Facebook fan.