SANTA MONICA, Calif., March 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With gas prices soaring, reaching an average of $3.51 per gallon nationwide for regular unleaded fuel, TrueCar.com, the authority on new car pricing, trends and forecasting is offering some helpful tips in "10 Ways to Save Money on Gas" as the gas-price shock is being felt at the pump.
"Changing your driving behavior will make the single biggest difference in how much fuel you can save," said Jesse Toprak, Vice President of Industry Trends and Insights at TrueCar.com. "Worn spark plugs, clogged air filters and under-inflated tires also help decrease your fuel economy."
Some of the consumer-friendly money saving gas tips include:
- Drive Smoother: Aggressive driving has an impact on how much fuel you consume. When driving, pushing the gas pedal hard or slamming the brakes will lower your average fuel economy. Aggressive driving can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway and five percent around town.
- Slow Down: Most vehicles get the most amount of fuel efficiency when driving between 45 and 55 miles per hour. The Department of Energy (DOE) figures that for every five miles you drive going in excess of 60 mph, you could lose somewhere between seven to 23 percent of fuel efficiency.
- Reduce Idling: Turn off your engine if you're waiting for more than 20 seconds. Idling wastes more gas than turning off your engine and restarting it.
- Use Premium Fuel Only When Needed: Regular unleaded fuel won't hurt most vehicles even if premium unleaded fuel is required. Unless your engine starts to knock or ping when using a lower-grade fuel, stick to regular. For more information, see "Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas."
- Shop for Gas: Web sites like GasBuddy.com and certain GPS devices can help you search for the lowest gas price and save you the hassle of burning more fuel while looking for cheaper gas.
- Purchase a Fuel-Efficient Car: Buying a new car that is more fuel efficient, such as a hybrid or diesel vehicle, makes good financial sense as gas prices continue to rise.
For more fuel-economy tips, visit "10 Ways to Save Money on Gas" at the TrueCar.com Truth Blog.
About TrueCar, Inc.
TrueCar Inc. is an automotive solutions provider focused on changing how cars are sold by providing a significantly better customer experience while helping qualified dealer partners to gain incremental market share and reduce costs. TrueCar.com is a transparent, visual publisher of new car transaction data. TrueCar.com price reports help both dealers and consumers to agree on the parameters of a fair deal by providing an accurate, comprehensive and simple understanding of what others actually paid for the identically equipped new car over the last 30 days both locally and nationally. TrueCar, Inc. works with a national network of nearly 5,000 Certified Dealers that provide up-front, no-haggle, competitive pricing to assist some of the nation's largest and most well respected membership and service organizations to meet the auto buying needs of their members and customers. These partnerships include American Express, AAA, USAA and more than 60 others. Collectively these audiences represent over 1M in-market customers each month. TrueCar, Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, CA and has offices in San Francisco. The company was founded in 2005 and has been profitable since 2009. With nearly 200 percent year-over-year growth TrueCar has driven over 200,000 sales and is developing a suite of transaction oriented products and services centered on transparency and radical clarity as a result of comprehensively analyzing market data and information.
This press release and the information contained herein is for noncommercial use on "as-is, as available" basis and may be used for informational purposes only. TrueCar makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information contained in this press release and the results of the use of such information, including but not limited to implied warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. The information contained in this press release may include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Neither TrueCar nor any of its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates or respective partners, officers, or directors, employees or agents shall be held liable for any damages, whether direct, incidental, indirect, special or consequential, including without limitation lost revenues or lost profits, arising from or in connection with your use or reliance on the information presented in this press release.
Available Topic Expert(s): For information on the listed expert(s), click appropriate link.