SPRING, Texas, Feb. 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Trust Transparency Center released today the results of a survey of 200 U.S.-based dietitians finding that the majority take dietary supplements regularly. These results align with the majority of Americans who take dietary supplements and reinforce that supplements have a place. Dietary supplements are regulated in the US by the Food and Drug Administration and Federal Trade Commission.
The survey found that:
- The majority of dietitians are taking supplements themselves on a regular basis and 76% take supplements at least 4 times per week
- 67% recommend a mix of food and supplements and 76% of dietitians that prefer to recommend a mix of food and supplements recommend some type of supplement to 40% or more of their patients
- Dietitians are recommending a wide range of supplements
- 46% mentioned meal replacement and/or protein
- 37% listed Vitamin D
- 47% mentioned multivitamin or MVI (multivitamin injection)
- 9 out of 10 Dietitians are recommending prebiotics to at least some of their patients.
- 76% of Frequent Curcumin/Turmeric Recommenders are very to extremely familiar with its usage; 1 in 4 are actively looking to learn more
- 52% discuss supplements with their patients when preparing nutritional recommendations
- Dietitians are overwhelmingly in favor of labelling synthetic supplements with 86% advocating labeling at all times
- Frequent Recommenders of a particular supplement are generally confident in their knowledge – even if they don't know everything they should/could
"These results are encouraging since they indicate another powerful influencer group is ready to hear more about supplement science and benefits," said Len Monheit, Managing Partner, Trust Transparency Center. "Many categories with emerging science, like prebiotics and curcumin should take advantage of this opportunity. It is definitely worth industry's time to educate dietitians, particularly on specialty supplements as they're not as familiar with those as with other categories."
Traci Kantowski, Communications Director, Trust Transparency Center
[email protected] | 630-923-0211
About Trust Transparency Center
Trust Transparency Center (TTC) is a boutique strategy and insights firm with over 60 years of experience in the industry, including a deep understanding of all aspects of the global supply chain, executing growth strategy and what it takes to be successful in today's market. TTC produces comprehensive industry insight reports and manages the Coconut Coalition of the Americas, CoQ10 Association, Global Curcumin Association, Global Prebiotic Association and the Natural Algae Astaxanthin Association covering coconut, CoQ10, curcumin, prebiotics and natural astaxanthin. Learn more at TrustTransparency.com.
SOURCE Trust Transparency Center