CHICAGO, April 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL) today announced that customers and employees generously donated more than $2.5 million to the American Red Cross efforts to aid those affected by the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on March 11. In addition, Mileage Plus and OnePass members donated more than 63 million of their frequent flyer miles to charities through the airlines' programs.
"We are pleased to join our customers and employees in the outpouring of support," said Sonya Jackson, president of the United Airlines Foundation. "Through their exceptional generosity, we have surpassed $2.5 million in cash donations and 63 million frequent flyer mile donations in just one month since this tragedy struck Japan."
More than 23,000 customers and employees of United and Continental made financial contributions to relief efforts in Japan through the companies' partnership with the American Red Cross. United Continental Holdings committed up to eight million miles as a one-time bonus to frequent flyers who contribute to American Red Cross efforts to aid those affected by the disaster. Through April 30, Mileage Plus and OnePass members who give a minimum of $50 to the American Red Cross receive 250 bonus miles*, and those who contribute $100 or more are rewarded with 500 bonus miles.
With more than 1,000 employees throughout Japan, United and Continental jointly operate more than 180 flights each week to and from nine cities in Japan.
How to Support the American Red Cross and Earn Bonus Miles
Individuals who wish to support the disaster relief efforts should visit the American Red Cross website to make a cash donation: http://american.redcross.org/unitedairlines-pub. To receive the mileage award, members of Mileage Plus should send an e-mail to [email protected] including: an electronic receipt from the American Red Cross showing a donation of $50 or more, the member's name and Mileage Plus number. To receive the mileage award, members of OnePass should send an e-mail to [email protected] including: an electronic receipt from the American Red Cross showing a donation of $50 or more, the member's name and OnePass number.
Customers May Also Donate Miles
Mileage Plus and OnePass members with accrued miles can donate their miles to a charity through their respective airline's program. Many international relief organizations send personnel and volunteers to assist in the affected region, and the donation of miles will help defray their expenses.
Through these programs, Mileage Plus and OnePass members can donate a minimum of 1,000 miles to any of the designated groups involved in the relief effort.
About United Continental Holdings, Inc.
United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL) is the holding company for both United Airlines and Continental Airlines. Together with United Express, Continental Express and Continental Connection, these airlines operate a total of approximately 5,675 flights a day to 372 airports on six continents from their hubs in Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Guam, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark Liberty, San Francisco, Tokyo and Washington, D.C. United and Continental are members of Star Alliance, which offers 21,000 daily flights to 1,160 airports in 181 countries. United and Continental's more than 80,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. For more information about United Continental Holdings, Inc., go to UnitedContinentalHoldings.com. For more information about the airlines, see united.com and continental.com, and follow each company on Twitter and Facebook.
*Up to 500 Bonus award mile terms and conditions:
- Must be a Mileage Plus or OnePass member to participate; to join go to united.com or continental.com
- To receive a bonus, Mileage Plus members must email or forward to [email protected] and OnePass members must email or forward to [email protected]: An electronic receipt from the American Red Cross showing a donation of $50 USD-$99 USD for 250 bonus award miles or $100 USD or more for 500 bonus award miles (your contribution may be tax deductible, please consult a tax professional). For processing, please include your name and Mileage Plus or OnePass number in the email message with the receipt.
- Receipt must be dated no earlier than March 11, 2011, and must be received by April 30, 2011.
- Donor's name must match the name on the Mileage Plus or OnePass account provided with the emailed receipt.
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for mileage to post to account.
- Bonus can be earned a maximum of one time.
- A maximum of eight million combined United Mileage Plus and Continental OnePass(R) miles will be donated by the United Airlines Foundation as part of this program and will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.
- This offer is combinable with other offers and is subject to change without notice.
- Bonus miles are redeemable for Mileage Plus or OnePass awards and do not count toward elite status.
- Miles accrued and awards issued are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus or OnePass program. United or Continental, its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. Continental and OnePass are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit www.united.com. For complete details about the OnePass program, visit www.continental.com.
SOURCE United Continental Holdings, Inc.