UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., March 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- To promote the April 1, 2011, release of Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment's live action/CG-animated comedy Hop, Universal Partnerships & Licensing (UP&L) has assembled a total of 92 promotional partners and licensees worldwide including Walmart, Burger King, Comcast, Hallmark, The Hershey Company and Kodak, it was announced today.
Hop has received significant support from retailers around the globe including Walmart in the U.S., Target in Australia, El Corte Ingles in Spain, hmv in the U.K. and Jay Jay's in South Africa. Walmart has an exclusive partnership with Hop in the U.S., making it the first time the company has used a licensed property to brand a seasonal campaign.
It is also the first time that partners such as Bolthouse Farms and licensees like Lima Sky have been involved in a film. Lima Sky's "Doodle Jump: Hop the Movie" app, which was released earlier this month, reached No. 1 in the iTunes App Store Top Free Apps chart in China, Germany, Austria, Russia, Australia and New Zealand. In the U.S., the app reached No. 2 as a Top Free App, and it has garnered more than 3.2 million total global downloads since its release.
In advance of the film's opening day, partners and licensees will promote Hop across multiple platforms with campaigns that are powered by television, print, in-theater promotions and major special events. The total value in global support from partners and licensees equals more than $75 million, including $19 million in domestic television advertising.
Comcast and Kodak are both featuring co-branded Hop television spots with custom animation from Rhythm & Hues, the same company that provided the animation for the film. Hop is the second release from Illumination Entertainment; it follows last year's blockbuster success of Despicable Me, which grossed more than $540 million theatrically worldwide.
Key Partners Include:
- Burger King Corporation (Global) – In participating BURGER KING® restaurants across 50+ countries, BK® will feature Hop in their BK® Kids Meal program with six different toys (one per Kids Meal) distributed over a 3-week period. They are supporting with TV in the U.S. and select territories. http://universal.wiredrive.com/r/p/?presentation=ca40973e8dd502e0fc1bcb88e8eb6422
- Comcast (U.S.) – Comcast is featuring more than 30 pieces of Hop exclusive and special film content On Demand (350MM views/month), online at XfinityTV.com and through the Xfinity TV app on the iPad. A co-branded 30-second TV spot with extensive custom animation is also running on certain networks. http://www.interdubs.com/r/elastic/index.php?al=RFx9Ktj&an=pBtbo8&e=MgWYrZIgQ
- Kodak (U.S. & Canada) – Through TV and outdoor advertising Kodak will present Hop co-branded signage and limited edition Hop-themed products available at more than 22,000 kiosks in the U.S. and Canada, a co-branded television spot and a substantial PR and social media campaign. http://universal.wiredrive.com/r/p/?presentation=931b21f96e51688d2840ffcb9df5918f
- Lima Sky/Doodle Jump (Global) – The "Doodle Jump: Hop The Movie" App allows players to hop their way through the Easter Bunny's top-secret candy factory earning the privilege of becoming a true Easter Bunny by completing all 25 levels. A new level will be available to unlock each day leading up to the film's release. https://www.yousendit.com/download/UFhzUGhkWkJsamRFQlE9PQ
- Walmart (U.S.) – Walmart customers can build their Hop-themed Easter baskets, and visit the movie-inspired "Candy Factory," with great values on 100 exclusive licensed products, including candy, toys, activities and apparel.
Select List of Hop Partners and Licensees:
- Bokados (Mexico) – On-pack promotion on 3 million snack products supported with in store POS plus an outdoor, radio and TV campaign;
- Bolthouse Farms (U.S.) – Co-branded promotion on more than 20 million bags;
- Bakery Craft (U.S.) – Cake kits, cupcake rings and edible bakery images;
- Build-A-Bear Workshops (U.S., Canada & U.K.) – Make-Your-Own stuffed E.B., outfits & accessories for E.B., pre-stuffed pink beret and sound chip featuring the "I Want Candy" song.
- Create A Treat (U.S.) – Shortbread cookie decorating kits;
- Editora Alto Astral (Brazil) – Coloring books, activity books and stickers;
- El Corte Ingles (Spain) – Promote the film in Spain's largest department store with more than 70 locations;
- Five Mile Press (Australia) – Hop-themed books, sticker books, coloring books and puzzle books;
- Flunch Restaurants (France) – Restaurant promotion featuring POS and collectible toys in 220 locations;
- Frankford (U.S. & Chile) – Extensive line of candy, novelty candy and Easter baskets;
- Funrise (U.S.) – Plush, figures, novelty toys and Easter basket stuffers;
- Garan (U.S.) – Boys & girls T-shirts and sets;
- Hallmark (U.S.) – Hop-themed greeting cards;
- The Hershey Company (U.S.) – Hershey®'s Solid Milk Chocolate Magic Bunny, Cadbury® Egg Scepter of Destiny: Hollow Milk Chocolate Egg filled with Cadbury Mini Eggs Candy and a $1 Whoppers® Malted Milk Eggs Carton.
- hmv (U.K.) – Hop-themed promotion and in-store POS;
- Holiday Inn (U.K. & Germany) – Film promoted in over 250 hotels with 1.5 million Hop-branded room key cards produced;
- Hungry Jack (Australia) – Collectible toys and POS in more than 300 restaurants with TV advertising support;
- Interactive Game/505 Games (Global) – Game for the Nintendo DS platform;
- Jay Jay's (South Africa) – Hop-themed promotion, publicity and in-store POS;
- Just Premiums (Australia) – Plush and novelty toys for Target Australia;
- Keystone Bakery (U.S.) – Hop-themed and decorated packaged cookies;
- Kraft Foods (U.S.) – Hop featured in TV advertising and on-packs of Kraft family products;
- Krispy Kreme (Mexico) – POS support in 60 stores plus a special limited time only Hop themed doughnut;
- Lakomka (Germany) – On-pack promotions on 10 million units of frozen chocolate dairy products;
- Lindt Chocolates (Italy, Switzerland & U.K.) – Lindt's first ever film promotion with Hop, supported with significant retailer support, including POS in major supermarkets;
- Little Brown (U.S.) – Hop-themed books including board books, chapter books and storybooks;
- M&M Meat Shops (Canada) – Canada's largest chain of specialty frozen foods, supported by flyers, posters and online posting;
- Park Avenue Confectionery (Australia) – Hop ceramic mug and milk chocolate egg gift sets and coloring book gift sets;
- PCO Group (Europe) – In-theater concessions with Hop-themed popcorn tubs, boxes, cups, menu trays, toppers, straws with 3D figurines;
- Random House (Germany) – Audio storytelling books;
- Reckitt Benckiser (Netherlands) – Will provide POS in over 380 stores plus TV advertising support;
- Social Game/Play Social (Global) – "Chicks vs. Bunnies" social networking game available and marketed on Facebook;
- Target (Australia) – Hop-themed product including toys, publishing, confectionery and apparel in more than 180 stores;
- Teleflora (U.S.) – With the qualified purchase of a Teleflora bouquet, customers can receive a free ticket to see Hop from their local Teleflora floral shop or through Teleflora.com while supplies last.
- TIM (Italy) – Italy's leading telecommunications company will support the film with major outdoor, TV and radio advertising;
- Time Frame Clothing (Australia) – Boys, girls and baby apparel;
- Topsville (U.S.) – Girls T-shirts and apparel;
- Townley (U.S.) – Health & Beauty products (including cosmetics, lip gloss, nail polish, etc.);
- Winners & Home Sense (Canada) – Promotional tie-in supported by in store posters, newspaper ads, online postings and email blasts.
Blending state of the art animation with live action, Hop is a comedy about E.B. (voiced by Russell Brand), the teenage son of the Easter Bunny. On the eve of taking over the family business, E.B. leaves for Hollywood in pursuit of his dream of becoming a drummer. He encounters Fred (James Marsden), an out-of-work slacker with his own lofty goals, who accidentally hits E.B. with his car. Feigning injury, E.B. manipulates Fred into providing him shelter, and Fred finds himself with the world's worst houseguest.
The film is helmed by Tim Hill, director of the blockbuster Alvin and the Chipmunks and produced by Chris Meledandri's Illumination Entertainment (Despicable Me). www.iwantcandy.com
About Universal Partnerships & Licensing
UP&L oversees Universal's consumer product licensing, film and home entertainment promotions, and all corporate alliances for Universal's theatrical, home entertainment, theme parks and stage productions. This dedicated division is also responsible for monetizing the Studio's vast library of films and characters through licensing, branding and marketing opportunities. UP&L is part of NBCUniversal. NBCUniversal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks. Comcast Corporation owns a controlling 51% interest in NBCUniversal, with GE holding a 49% stake.
SOURCE Universal Pictures