WASHINGTON, April 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Kidsave has announced an urgent need for individuals to host orphan children from Colombia this summer to support the organization's Summer Miracles program.
The Kidsave Summer Miracles Program brings older orphans from foreign countries to the USA for five-week summer visits. Older children are often harder to place than babies, however, children who are hosted in the Summer Miracles Program have greater success in finding adoptive families than other older children waiting for adoption because people have the opportunity to meet and live with them. Families who have experienced long waits for adoption are often able to reduce the wait time by hosting a child through Summer Miracles. Both single and married hosts are welcome.
"It is not okay for kids to grow up without parents," said Lauren Reicher-Gordon, Director of Kidsave's Family Visit Programs, "Through no fault of their own they've lost their parents and ended up in government care. The amazing thing is that once people meet these children, they fall in love and frequently adopt." Of the 1,600+ children aged 5-15 who have traveled to the US via the Kidsave Summer Miracles Program, over 85% have been adopted with approximately half being adopted by their hosts.
Individuals and groups are also needed to help get the word out about the children, host events with them, and provide or help raise funding to enable their vacations. More information about hosting this summer and Summer Miracles can be found at www.kidsave.org or by contacting Kidsave's Coordinator(s) in the following cities:
- New York, Connecticut, New Jersey: Monica Luque [email protected] 347-302-4988
- Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia: Andres Castillo [email protected] 917-673-0693 and Jean Kim [email protected] 202-834-0072
- Austin, Texas: Lisa Corless [email protected] and Larry Rawlinson [email protected] 512-218-9271
- Southern California: Brooke McCullough [email protected], 303-886-7079
- Northern California: Elizabeth Spier [email protected] 831-332-0130
- Miami - Dade County Ft. Lauderdale: Mercedes Jimenez [email protected] 718-623-1888
- Des Moines, Iowa: Matt Madison [email protected] 515-778-9380 and Steve Hudson [email protected] 515-991-6808
About Kidsave - Kidsave helps orphans and foster children find permanent homes with caring families. Kidsave's model programs connect older kids forgotten in orphanages and foster care with families who host them in their homes for weekends and school breaks, advocate for their adoption and make lasting connections for the children. Since 1997, Kidsave has helped more than 3,000 children find parents and lasting connections, trained and inspired hundreds of professionals worldwide. Kidsave's goal is to give 1 million children families and connections by 2020.