ROCKVILLE, Md., Dec.20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Marketdata LLC is a 38-year old market research firm that has tracked the U.S. weight loss market and published in-depth reports about its market segments since 1989. The firm has released its biennial 443-page study: The U.S. Weight Loss & Diet Control Market (14th edition). This is a complete analysis and forecast of ALL ten major segments of the U.S. diet market.
More information can be found here: https://www.marketresearch.com/Marketdata-Enterprises-Inc-v416/Weight-Loss-Diet-Control-10825677/
"The number of active dieters is estimated to have fallen 10% since 2015, to 97 million, due to a growing size acceptance movement and dieter fatigue. About 80% try to lose weight by themselves, but many fail and the latest CDC statistics show that we are getting fatter, not thinner. The new 2018 diet season is about to begin in late December, and the giants of the market are strongly positioned for more gains," according to Research Director, John LaRosa.
These and other insights are featured in Marketdata weight loss reports:
- The commercial weight loss programs segment of the market was worth $2.77 billion in 2016 and is forecast to grow 9.4% to $3.03 billion in 2017.
- Weight Watchers' rebound has been fueled by signing up more do-it-yourself dieters, coupled with a new CEO and ongoing endorsements from Oprah Winfrey, not by converting customers from competitors.
- Meal replacements (shakes, nutrition bars) are posting strong growth and are still popular with dieters. Sales of these products will outpace the growth of OTC diet pills to 2022 (7.2% per year vs. 4.8%). Multi-level marketing companies, such as Herbalife, Shaklee, Isagenix and more, provide a significant distribution channel for these products, since they are safe, portable, easily accessible via retailers, and inexpensive.
- Medical weight loss clinics and franchises have grown in number as MDs seek to replace income lost to managed care. However, many MDs and hospitals are still taking a wait and see attitude, trying to make sense of an uncertain healthcare environment and Affordable Care Act repeal efforts.
- Low-calorie (diet) frozen entrée sales have been declining for years, as consumers avoid highly processed foods with artificial ingredients. However, producers such as Stouffer's (Lean Cuisine) have turned declines into growth via new items, more natural ingredients and attractive packaging.
- Contrary to popular belief, free diet apps such as MyFitnessPal were NOT the main reason for recent diet company woes. Usage is waning and research shows that they don't produce lasting weight loss. Rather, the problem has been a lack of compelling programs and management/structural problems at some companies.
- Online dieting is worth an estimated $990 million, and WeightWatchers.com is the leader with 2016 revenue of $349 million.
"Today's dieters are focused on 'clean eating', convenience, and results. They want simple plans and an affordable price, with no side effects, and peer support platforms. Companies and products with these attributes will do well.", according to John LaRosa.
Marketdata LLC is an independent market research firm of the U.S. weight loss industry since 1989. Marketdata has published separate reports covering all weight loss market segments –commercial programs, medical programs, obesity drugs, MLM diet products, weight loss surgery, meal replacements, diet food delivery services, diet websites, and worksite weight loss programs. The company also operates a free website called DietBusinessWatch.com. Mr. LaRosa, the nation's leading weight loss market analyst, is available for interviews.
MarketResearch.com is the leading provider of global market intelligence products and services. With research reports from more than 720 top consulting and advisory firms, MarketResearch.com offers instant online access to the world's most extensive database of expert insights on global industries, companies, products, and trends. Moreover, MarketResearch.com's Research Specialists have in-depth knowledge of the publishers and the various types of reports in their respective industries and are ready to provide research assistance.