NEW YORK, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavored). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 USA Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the USA cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Cider continued to grow strongly in the USA, with volumes up by over 25% in 2011. Cider appeals to both men and women and a relatively young demographic. Typically sweeter than beer, cider appeals to drinkers who are entering the alcohol market. Fruit flavored ciders are becoming increasingly popular, as are pear based ciders. The market is benefiting from increasing premiumisation.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Cider seems to be following a similar development pattern to the craft beer sector. As with craft beer, the sector is driven by enthusiasts, and a sense of rediscovery. Innovation is very important and many producers are now producing seasonal and limited edition products and marketing 'variety' packs containing a number of brand variants. Many producers are actively promoting consumer knowledge of cider, and in particular of apple varieties.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The USA Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the USA cider market.
This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
The American palate tends to favor sweeter tastes and many drinkers find English style ciders too dry. This is especially true on the West Coast, East Coast drinkers being more attuned to dryer styles.
Increased competition means some brands will decline, though Hornsby's was the only major brand to witness declining volume and share in 2011.
Hornsby's move to 33cl (11oz) bottles was not followed by anyone else, and may have backfired, being perceived as a cynical way of increasing prices.
Overall prices increased by around 4%, driven by increased premium offerings.
Hornsby's suffered from a lack of focus and investment as part of the Gallo wine business.
Cider continued to grow strongly, driven by innovation.
Cider's growth is expected to continue unabated with the market predicted to grow by around 30% in 2012. The entry of major brewers into the category, together with innovative marketing and product development, should see cider emulate the trajectory experienced by craft beer.
Historically, cider was often a name given to a non-alcoholic apple drink in the US, and consequently alcoholic ciders were often labeled as 'hard' ciders. One consequence of the increasing popularity of cider is the fact that most American consumers now seem to understand the term cider to refer to the alcoholic drink, and most brands have dropped the word 'hard' from their names.
As with the craft beer business, a lot of the really spectacular growth is coming from the grassroots level. Crispin was the fastest growing brand in 2011, posting a 300% plus increase.
The market is benefiting from increasing premiumisation, with premium ciders, which account for a quarter of the market, growing at more than double the rate of mainstream cider.
Table of Contents
Section 1 Market Update
- Market Size
- Market Value
- Distribution 2011
- Current and Emerging Trends
- Imports and Exports
- Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2009-2011
- Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands - Volume, 2009-2011
- Brand Analysis
- Private Label/Private Label Producers
- New Products Activity
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
- VERMONT HARD CIDER COMPANY
- Green Mountain Cider Company Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
- HORNSBY'S PUB DRAFT CIDER LTD
- Hornsby's Pub Draft Cider Ltd Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
MINOR CIDER COMPANIES
- Original Sin Corporation
- The California Cider Company
- The Boston Beer Company Inc
- Crispin Cider
- Fox Barrel Cider Company
- Fish Brewing Company
Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
List of Tables
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
- Table 1.2.1 - Taxation Base
- Table 1.2.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
- Table 1.2.3 - Legal Controls on Cider
- State Taxes
- Table 1.3.1 - Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2010-2012
- Table 1.3.2 - Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2010-2012
- Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Liters, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Liters, 2001-2012F
- Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2001-2012F
- Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2001-2012F
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2008-2012F.
- Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Type, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2008-2012F
- Cider All Trademarks, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Type, 2007-2011
- Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2007-2011
- Cider Private Label Brands, 2007-2011
- Cider Trademark Owners, 2007-2011
- Cider Local Operators, 2007-2011
- Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2007-2011
- Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2008-2012F
- Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2008-2012F
List of Figures
- Chart - Leading Brewers/Imports, 2011
- Market Structure
- Cider Producers/Importers
- Chart - Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2011
- Packaging Trends
- Chart - Distribution by Channel, 2011
- Chart - Consumption by Price Segment, 2011
- Market Valuation and Pricing
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
- Distribution Trends
VERMONT HARD CIDER COMPANY, HORNSBY'S PUB DRAFT CIDER LTD, Original Sin Corporation, The California Cider Company, The Boston Beer Company Inc, Crispin Cider, Fox Barrel Cider Company, Fish Brewing Company