WALNUT, Calif., April 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- VIASPACE Inc. (OTC: VSPC) announced that an article on Giant King Grass as a dedicated energy crop was published in the current issue of Bioenergy Insight magazine. VIASPACE CEO, Dr. Carl Kukkonen, was invited by the magazine to write the article entitled: "Top of the Crops: Giant King Grass is proving its worth as a dedicated energy crop within the renewables sector." The article is featured on the cover of the magazine.
Bioenergy Insight magazine is published 6 times a year in England with worldwide circulation. It is targeted at companies producing biomass fuel in the form of pellets and briquettes, and those using renewable materials to produce biopower, biogas, combined heat & power (CHP), and liquid biofuels. The magazine covers pertinent bioenergy topics such as: the latest industry news, regulations & legislation, market analysis, and technological developments. Each issue is mailed to a minimum of 3,000 subscribers within the sector.
The magazine is generally available only to paid subscribers, but the current issue is available for free on their website at http://www.bioenergy-news.com/ or at http://read.turntext.com/i/495784-bioenergy-insight-march-april-2015 . The full article, which was edited slightly for the magazine, is available on the VIASPACE website www.VIASPACE.com.
A brief synopsis of the article is summarized below:
- Until recently, biomass almost exclusively meant wood or sugarcane bagasse. Wood has many competing uses and much of the wood in the world is already spoken for and not readily available for bioenergy projects/uses.
- Dedicated energy crops, particularly perennial grasses, represent a good alternative to provide biomass. Perennial grasses have a high yield and are fast growing.
- Miscanthus and Switchgrass are alternatives for colder-weather climates with freezing weather and shortened growing seasons.
- Giant King Grass is a very high yield, environmentally friendly perennial grass for tropical and subtropical regions where there is no freezing.
- It can be harvested at least twice a year and the first harvest is less than six months after planting.
- In contrast, trees take years to mature.
- Giant King Grass is growing with partners in eight countries around the world.
- Giant King Grass can be used to produce electricity through either direct combustion or anaerobic digestion. It can also be used to produce pellets and as a feedstock for cellulosic biofuels, biochemicals and biomaterials.
- For direct combustion, 1,750 acres can be used to produce 10 MW of clean, renewable base electricity.
- Anaerobic digesters that produce bio methane to fuel a 1-3MW engine/generator, use Giant King Grass harvested more frequently and this application requires about 250 acres per megawatt.
- Giant King Grass when cut every two months at 6-8 feet tall is excellent animal feed for dairy cows, cattle, sheep and other animals that eat grass.
- VIASPACE and its partner AGRICORP in Nicaragua are developing a 12 MW biomass power plant co-located with a 2,100 acre Giant King Grass plantation.
VIASPACE Chairman, Dr. Kevin Schewe, commented, "It is an honor and a compliment to how far we have come in the bioenergy business sector for Dr. Kukkonen to be invited to write this feature article for the prestigious, international Bioenergy Insight magazine and to be featured on the magazine cover. We have worked long and hard to build our brand name with Giant King® Grass and seeing GKG referenced as "Top of the Crops" in a respected international publication is an accomplishment for VIASPACE and its shareholders. I encourage all of our shareholders and interested parties to read the Bioenergy Insight article because it represents a nice summary of using Giant King Grass as a dedicated energy crop."
About VIASPACE Inc.
VIASPACE grows renewable Giant King® Grass as a low-carbon fuel for clean electricity generation; for environmentally friendly energy pellets; and as a feedstock for bio-methane production and for green cellulosic biofuels, biochemicals and biomaterials. Giant King® Grass is a proprietary, high yield, dedicated biomass energy crop. Giant King® Grass when it is cut frequently at 4 to 5 feet tall is also excellent animal feed. The USDA granted approval for planting Giant King® Grass throughout the US and cooperates in exporting by performing the required inspections and issuing the phytosanitary certificate needed for import into foreign countries. Giant King® Grass is being grown in California, Hawaii, St. Croix Virgin Islands, Nicaragua, South Africa, China, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines and Guyana. For more information, please go to www.VIASPACE.com or contact Dr. Jan Vandersande, Director of Communications, at 800-517-8050 or [email protected].
Safe Harbor Statement
Information in this news release includes forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements relate to future events or future performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Such factors include, without limitation, risks outlined in our periodic filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2014, and other factors over which VIASPACE has little or no control.
SOURCE VIASPACE Inc.