NEW YORK, March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- "As the popularity of conducting banking and other financial transactions on the Internet grows, so does the threat of online fraud," said Ralph M. Branca, president and CEO of Victory State Bank.
Victory State Bank, Staten Island, N.Y.'s only community-based commercial bank, utilizes stringent banking policies and theft-deterrent technologies to protect customers' personal and financial information.
But the Internet is vast, and so are the methods used by fraudsters seeking to trick computer users out of personal information, Branca said.
"Although online criminals are becoming more sophisticated in their tactics, business owners and consumers can better protect themselves with a few simple precautions," he said.
Branca offered the following tips from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC):
- If you bank online, frequently check your deposit accounts and lines of credit to spot and report errors or fraudulent transactions, just as you should with traditional banking.
- Never give your Social Security number, credit or debit card numbers, personal identification numbers (PINs) or any other confidential information in response to an unsolicited e-mail, text message or phone call, no matter who the source claims to be.
- Don't open attachments or click on links in unsolicited e-mails from anyone you don't know.
- Watch out for sudden pop-up windows asking for personal information or warning of a virus.
- Use a mix of security tools and procedures (anti-virus software, firewalls, etc.)
- Beware of check scams, which often leave consumers suffering the loss.
- Remember that using a credit card generally offers more purchase protection than a debit card or other electronic forms of online payment.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. Victory State Bank is a Staten Island-based commercial bank, which commenced operations on Nov. 17, 1997. The bank's initial capitalization of $7 million was primarily raised within the community of Staten Island, N.Y. The Bancorp's total equity has increased to $26.0 million, primarily through the retention of earnings. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at http://victorystatebank.com/default.htm.
MEDIA CONTACT: BARTON HOROWITZ
RELEVANT PUBLIC RELATIONS LLC
SOURCE Victory State Bank