PORTLAND, Ore., September 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- vintageTek.org, a museum for vintage Tektronix equipment and memorabilia from the Tektronix heyday, 1946-1985, will open for Public Viewing Friday, September 16, 2011, and Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9am, and Fridays and Saturdays following.
Our website can be viewed at www.vintagetek.org
Technical volunteers have been working since 2010, repairing and refurbishing instruments for display. Our volunteers consist primarily of ex-Tektronix design engineers, technicians, and marketing personnel, but also include vintage Tektronix equipment aficionados that were customers, who are refurbishing classic instruments as well.
Our potential inventory consists of more than 1,500 instruments donated by Stan Griffiths Co-Founder, and approximately 375 donated instruments by ex-Tektronix employees, along with a large supply of parts, accessories, and manuals.
Future museum programs include a Geek Academy (Saturday school for analog design projects for 5th and 6th graders) We have affiliations with County and State schools providing project kits for hobbies with an analog design tie in, and plans to raise endowment funds for a University level chair in Analog design.
The Museum will also be establishing a vintageTek Store, to sell vintage equipment items that have been donated, and not needed for display, including non-Tek test equipment.
In addition, we have plans to repair and refurbish a limited quantity of classic Tektronix instruments belonging to the general public, in exchange for donations toward the operating expenses of the museum. These will be premium priced services, intended to help collectors make their instruments look like new, and operate as close to new catalog items as possible, as a labor of love, and not as competitors to the T&M service industry.
The vintageTek Museum is located at 4620A SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Portland, Or 97221. For local visitors, this is west of OREGON Hwy 217, between Shattuck Rd and SW 45th. Parking is available in the East parking area, and behind the building. On street parking is limited to 30 minutes.
vintageTek was founded by two ex-Tektronix employees in 2009, Stan Griffiths, and Ed Sinclair. Both former Tektronix Field Engineers, with a love for Tektronix vintage instruments.
Stan and Ed are Board Members, and have expanded the Board to include Larry Mayhew, and John Winkelman, who are also ex-Tektronix employees and former executives.
Major contributors include The Vollum Family, The M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust, John Kobbe, Gary Hoselton, and many others who have made the museum a reality. We also extend our thanks to the dozens of volunteers who have helped refurbish our space and instruments, and continue to support us with their donations.
Admission to the museum is free, and donations will be encouraged and appreciated.
vintageTek.org is a 501(c)3 public charity, supported by donations from our museum visitors, and supporters. vintageTek was formed as a non-profit educational organization to raise funds through donations of money, land, buildings, and other valuable and tangible items for the purpose of displaying vintage Tektronix, Inc instruments, photographs, memorabilia, histories, and personal anecdotes over the periods of the company's founding, hypergrowth, and market share dominance eras, approximately 1946-1985.