LAKE FOREST, Calif., June 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- WD® (NYSE: WDC), the world's leader in external storage solutions, today introduced its new 1 TB My Book® AV DVR expander, allowing customers to instantly and seamlessly expand their DVR recording capacity by simply attaching the My Book AV DVR expander.
TiVo Verified™ compatible with TiVo® Series3™ and TiVo HD DVRs, the new My Book AV DVR expander is capable of storing up to 120 hours of high-definition (HD) television programming. The drive, which offers USB and eSATA connections, has also been tested and is compatible with Dish Network® and DirecTV® DVRs(1). WD is working with other major satellite, cable and telecom companies to integrate its DVR expander technology into set-top boxes around the world.
DVRs have become an indispensable technology for consumers by helping users time-shift their TV and recommend new shows. According to Parks Associates, 40 percent of U.S. broadband households and 38 percent of Western European broadband households have a DVR (Parks Associates: The Consumer Perspective 2009). HD programs take up several times more storage space than standard definition programs, requiring users to constantly delete old shows to make more room for new ones. Shortage of storage also prevents the DVR's recommendation engine from suggesting new shows, limiting the use of a favorite consumer feature. WD's My Book AV DVR expander addresses these issues by providing users with up to 120 additional hours of HD storage for their TiVo, DirecTV, Dish Network and other compatible DVRs.
WD is a leading supplier of hard drives for the DVR set-top boxes offered by major cable, satellite and Internet Protocol Television service providers. These WD customers demand AV-grade drives, which are specifically engineered for recording and playback of programs on a 24-by-7 duty cycle. The drives also feature WD GreenPower Technology™ so they produce very little heat and are designed to handle today's cramped, gadget-rich entertainment centers. WD uses these same industry-proven drives in the WD My Book AV DVR expander to provide consumers with a reliable high-quality HD viewing experience, whether the drive is connected to a game console, Blu-ray Disc™ player, WD TV® media player or other media playback device(2). In addition, the WD My Book AV DVR expander enclosure is designed to isolate these AV drives from the shock and vibration that can occur in home entertainment environments.
"Millions of users love their TiVos and DVRs because they can watch their favorite TV shows whenever they want. The hard drives inside these devices simply don't have enough space to store all of consumers' favorite HD programs each week," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group. "With our busy lives, it's easy to get behind on our favorite shows. WD's My Book AV DVR expander allows users to take back control of their DVR and keep more of their TV shows."
WD's My Book AV DVR expander also enables users to store and play back videos from 2010 or later Sony® HD Handycam® camcorders with the Direct Copy feature, giving consumers an easy way to offload, archive and enjoy their personal videos in one simple step without a PC.
My Book AV DVR Expander
My Book AV DVR expanders feature:
- Additional recording hours for enhanced viewing pleasure by connecting the drive to compatible USB or eSATA DVRs, instantly creating more storage for TV shows, sporting events, and movies;
- A convenient camcorder storage companion that allows users to make more room for recording by transferring videos from compatible cameras to a My Book AV DVR expander without a computer;
- An AV-optimized drive engineered for 24-by-7 operation, offering smooth video recording and playback with SilkStream™ technology (available via eSATA connection only);
- An environmentally friendly drive built with WD GreenPower Technology and optimized for the demands of writing video as well as the high temperatures often found in entertainment centers;
- Increased connectivity to game consoles, Blu-ray Disc players or media players, like the WD TV family of products, to provide smooth playback on big-screen TVs;
- Small form-factor design, allowing the My Book AV DVR expander to fit neatly in entertainment centers. It can stand upright or lie horizontally, making it easy to position with other AV devices to maximize airflow and minimize heat around the drive;
- USB 2.0 and eSATA interfaces for maximum compatibility with DVRs and AV devices; and,
- A two-year limited warranty.
The My Book AV DVR expander has been tested and verified compatible with DirecTV, Dish Network, TiVo Series3 and TiVo HD DVRs, as well as with Scientific Atlanta 8300HD series DVRs; Sony Blu-ray Disc players; 2010 or later Sony HD Handycams camcorders with the Direct Copy feature; Xbox 360®; and Sony PlayStation® 3. Consumers should check with their cable service provider to confirm compatibility with their system. For a complete list of compatible products, please visit products.wdc.com/mybookav.
Price and Availability
The new My Book AV DVR expander is available with 1 TB capacity and has a two-year limited warranty. My Book AV DVR expander drives are available now at select retailers and online at shopwd.com. MSRP is $149.99 USD.
WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company designs and produces reliable, high-performance hard drives and solid state drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. Its advanced technologies are configured into applications for client and enterprise computing, embedded systems and consumer electronics, as well as its own consumer storage and media products.
WD was founded in 1970. The company's storage products are marketed to leading OEMs, systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital® and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's website (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
Western Digital, WD, WD TV, My Book and the WD logo are registered trademarks; WD GreenPower Technology and SilkStream are trademarks of Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Other marks may be mentioned herein that belong to other companies. All other brand and product names mentioned herein are the property of their respective companies. One terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.
(1) Compatible DVR models include: DirecTV R15, HR20, HR2, HR23; Dish Network VIP722K; TiVo Series3 & Premier: Pace DC7581; Time Warner Cable® Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.
(2) When used with a DVR, the My Book AV DVR expander expands the recording capacity of a single DVR. It cannot be used as an expander with multiple DVRs or as storage for other AV devices.
SOURCE Western Digital Technologies