CHEVY CHASE, Md., Feb. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- WeddingWire, Inc., the leading global online marketplace connecting consumers with wedding and event professionals, released today the results of its 2015 Newlywed Report-- the company's largest analysis of newlyweds to date. The report is based on a comprehensive survey of 6,000 WeddingWire couples who revealed insight on the use of technology throughout the planning process, spending habits, influences and challenges. Uniquely, the 2015 Newlywed Report crosses over the traditional wedding boundaries and includes data from same-sex weddings, as well as, second (plus) weddings.
"The average cost of a wedding remains close to $30,000, with couples spending roughly $250 per guest to attend," said Andy Whittaker, Director of Market Insights at WeddingWire. "Couples tell us that determining a budget is their top challenge and they are increasingly looking to mobile tools to help with overall planning. With an average of 13 months from engagement to wedding day, brides and grooms should start planning as early as possible to ensure they secure their desired dates and preferred vendors."
The 2015 Newlywed Report details statistics and trends across the entire wedding planning process from pre-engagement to the big day itself. Key findings from this year's report include:
- Average number of wedding guests: 120
- Average spend on engagement ring: $4,758
- Average wedding ceremony/reception cost: $28,958
- Average spend on honeymoon: $3,882
- Most expensive markets to get married in:
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Washington DC
- Los Angeles
- Average wedding costs in the 5 largest metro areas:
- New York City: $47,153
- Los Angeles: $34,289
- Chicago: $37,153
- Houston: $32,614
- Philadelphia: 34,982
- The most popular days to get engaged:
- Christmas Day
- Valentine's Day
- Christmas Eve
- New Year's Day
- Average engagement period length: 13 months
- The most popular months to get married:
- Planning time spent online: 80%
- Online resources used for planning
- 66% use a checklist
- 59% created a wedding website
- 40% created a wedding hashtag
- Most important factors for couples deciding to contact a vendor:
- Average spend by vendor category:
- Venue: $8,798
- Catering: $6,877
- Band: $3,848
- Photography: $2,435
- Rehearsal Dinner: $1,935
Couples are increasingly tailoring their wedding day to express their personal style and customs. "From fashion and decor to catering and entertainment, WeddingWire tracks the style trends of the moment that we expect to see continue into 2016," said Kim Forrest, Wedding Trend Expert and Editor at WeddingWire.
- Decor: metallic hues of gold and copper, floral arrangements with lots of greenery (particularly eucalyptus,) "love" signage in lights or flowers hanging in unexpected places
- Fashion: low necklines and backs, sheer paneling, grooms in cobalt/midnight blue suits
- Catering: hometown cuisine (e.g., mini Philly cheesesteaks or SoCal fish tacos)
- Dessert: cakes with textured white buttercream over fondant, donuts
- Entertainment: photo/GIF booths, first dance to Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" (the 2016 Grammy Song of the Year)
About WeddingWire's 2015 Newlywed Report
The 2015 Newlywed Report consists of data collected from WeddingWire's annual Newlywed Survey, distributed to registered WeddingWire couples married between January 1st and December 31st, 2015. Respondents represent couples from all over the United States with various ages, ethnicities, household incomes and sexual orientation.
In 2015, WeddingWire conducted research with nearly 150,000 brides, grooms, wedding guests, family members and wedding/event professionals. Research can be found at wedinsights.com.
About WeddingWire, Inc
WeddingWire, Inc. is the leading global online marketplace connecting consumers with event and creative professionals. Operating within a $200 billion industry, WeddingWire, Inc. hosts 10 million monthly unique users across its mobile and web platforms. Consumers are able to read over 2.5 million vendor reviews and search, compare and book from a database of over 400,000 businesses. Globally, it provides these businesses the technology they need to serve their clients through advertising, marketing and business management tools such as websites, payment processing, invoicing and contracts. Founded in 2007, the WeddingWire portfolio of sites serves couples and businesses across 14 countries in North America, Latin America and Europe, making it the worldwide leader in weddings with brands including Bodas.net, Casamentos.com.br, Matrimonio.com and more. The company employs more than 750 and maintains global headquarters in Washington, DC and international headquarters in Barcelona, Spain.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/weddingwire-announces-2015-newlywed-report-300227273.html
SOURCE WeddingWire, Inc.