ROANOKE, Va., Jan. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- The West End Center and Family Service of Roanoke Valley were awarded grants of $5,000 and $10,000 respectively through Cox Communications' new philanthropic initiative -- Cox Charities. The grants were awarded during a special reception held on January 27, at the Cox Communications headquarters in Roanoke.
"Cox Communications is committed to making a difference here in the community. We are so pleased to support the work of these two great organizations," said Kim Stanley, Cox Vice President of Operations in Roanoke."
Cox Charities will award grants on an annual basis to qualifying organizations for education programs that further the academic achievement and development of young people through science and technology, mentoring, literacy and other areas promoting youth education.
Stanley added, "We also owe a great deal of praise to the Advisory Committee. Without their involvement in this effort, we would not be able to put forth such a worthy and wonderful roster of Cox Charities grant recipients."
The Advisory Committee is comprised of community and business leaders and has been appointed to make the final grant selections. Cox Charities Advisory Committee members are as follows:
- Beatriz Amberman, Chair, Virginia Latino Advisory Board
- Golden H. Bethune-Hill, Vice President, Riverside Regional Medical Center
- The Honorable John A. Cosgrove, Delegate, Virginia General Assembly
- Mr. Robert W. Mathieson, Virginia Beach Business Leader
- The Honorable Yvonne B. Miller, Senator, Virginia General Assembly
- The Honorable G. Glenn Oder, Delegate, Virginia General Assembly
- Frank Rogan, President/CEO, United Way of Roanoke Valley
- Jagdish A. Singh, President of Citizens First and Member of Virginia Council on Human Rights
- The Honorable Ronald A. Villanueva, Delegate, Virginia General Assembly
- The Honorable William E. Ward, Former Mayor, City of Chesapeake
- Edith G. White, President/CEO, Urban League of Hampton Roads
- Gary McCollum, Cox Senior Vice President and General Manager
- Leigh Woisard, Cox Vice President Public and Government Affairs
- Scott Sale, Cox Vice President Business Operations
For more information on the 2010 grant awards winners and how to apply for a grant, please visit to www.coxcharities.org .
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a multi-service broadband communications and entertainment company with more than 6.2 million total residential and commercial customers. The third-largest cable television company in the United States, Cox offers an array of advanced digital video, high-speed Internet and telephony services over its own nationwide IP network, as well as integrated wireless services. Cox Business is a full-service, facilities-based provider of communications solutions for commercial customers, providing high-speed Internet, voice and long distance services, as well as data and video transport services for small to large-sized businesses. Cox Media offers national and local cable advertising in traditional spot and new media formats, along with promotional opportunities and production services. Cox Communications wholly owns and operates the Travel Channel. More information about the services of Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com, www.coxbusiness.com, and www.coxmedia.com. In Hampton Roads, Cox has more than 400,000 basic cable subscribers.
Felicia Blow, APR: 757-222-8432 or email@example.com
SOURCE Cox Communications