BRECKENRIDGE, Colo., Oct. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Winter brings unique events to the Victorian town of Breckenridge, which bustles with an independent dining scene, a thriving arts district and plenty of snow. A season-long lineup features signature events and adventures of all speeds.
- The Lighting of Breckenridge on Dec. 4 transforms the town into a wintry village complete with two weekends of a Holiday Market. Think roasted chestnuts, hot spiced cider, mulled wine, visits with Santa and unique shopping opportunities. Check out the 3rd annual Winter Dew Tour, Dec. 16-19, and New Year's celebrations that include fireworks, a concert and a torchlight parade down the slopes of Breckenridge mountain.
- Bring the Viking Horns for Ullr Fest, Jan. 9 – Jan. 15, 2011: This annual week-long celebration of Ullr (pronounced Ooh-ler), the mythical Norse god of snow, brings to Breckenridge a legendary Main Street parade along with live entertainment, the Ullr Dating Game, Ullympics and a family ice skating party.
- Budweiser International Snow Sculpture Championships: The week of Jan. 25 – Jan. 30, 2011, teams from around the globe descend on Breckenridge to hand carve 20-ton blocks of snow into works of art. A family favorite, the competition showcases pieces achieved after 65 intense hours of work, no power tools allowed.
- Off the Snow: Not enticed by white stuff? Explore Breckenridge's diverse, independent restaurant scene. Or, try a workshop in the Arts District, shop the boutiques, indulge in spa treatments and re-live history with museum tours.
- Kids at Play: In addition to ski and ride lessons, winter family activities abound. Explore miles of snowshoeing and cross-country skiing trails, experience a dogsled tour in Breckenridge's backcountry or hear the sleigh bells jingle on a starlit dinner sleigh ride. Adventure-seekers can fire up snowmobiles to tour Breckenridge's backcountry or go sledding at Carter Park.
For travelers planning to attend events, or families (and others) whose visits are limited to specific dates, booking early is quickly becoming the best way to secure value.
"In many mountain destinations, lodging companies are offering 'book-by' deals. These early booking specials, coupled with advance airfare deals, mean travelers can get value by committing to a specific date early," said Bill Wishowski, vice president of Breckenridge Central Reservations. "If you expect to wait and get a good deal at the last minute, you may end up paying more than if you'd booked early. Or, you may not get the location you desire."
With reservations coming in at September's first dusting of snow, Breckenridge, Colo. is no exception to this trend. Ski and Stay packages booked by November 12, 2010 (for vacations through April 24, 2011) offer the best value. For details and to learn more about customizable winter packages and specials through Breckenridge Central Reservations call 877-593-5260. Visit gobreck.com for information on Breckenridge events and activities.
SOURCE Breckenridge Resort Chamber