NEW YORK, Sept. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Wholesale Markets Brokers' Association, Americas (WMBAA), announced today that Congressman Scott Garrett (R-NJ), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government-Sponsored Enterprises for the House Financial Services Committee, and Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Ranking Member of the Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee of the House Financial Services Committee, have confirmed their participation at Second Annual Swap Execution Facility Conference ("SEFCON II").
They join other distinguished guests such as Gary Gensler, Chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, on Monday, October 3 to discuss a range of critical topics which include:
- "What is a "SEF" and What is it Good for?"
- "Clarifying Dodd-Frank: HR 2586, the SEF Clarification Act."
- "Regulatory Harmonization: Will it really happen?"
- "Maintaining Swaps Liquidity: What hath Dodd-Frank wrought?"
- "SEF Tech: Swaps Trading & Reporting"
- "SEF Nuts and Bolts: Registration, Ownership, Governance and Operations"
- "The Brave New World of SEFS: A View from the Whiteboard"
Other distinguished participants include:
- Hon. Scott O'Malia, Commissioner, U.S. Commodities Futures Trading Commission
- Gillian Tett, US Managing Editor, The Financial Times; author of "Fool's Gold"
- Paddy Hirsch, Senior Editor, Marketplace
- Michael Gooch, Chairman & CEO, GFI Group Inc.
- Patrick McCarty, ICAP, Former senior counsel, CFTC & SEC
- Paul Humphrey, CEO Electronic Broking, Tullett Prebon
- Michael Leibowitz, CEO, EMEA, Tradition
- Jeffrey Hogan, Managing Director, BGC Partners
- Lee Olesky, CEO and Co-founder, Tradeweb
- Rick McVey, Chairman and CEO, MarketAxess
SEFCON II will be held in New York City on October 3, 2011 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, 42nd Street, New York, NY, and will build on the work of SEFCON I held in Washington, D.C. in October 2010. The full conference program includes general sessions from 8:30 am-5:00 pm, an industry luncheon at 1:00 pm, the exhibits throughout, and the closing reception at 5:00 pm. A full agenda will be announced in the coming weeks.
"With the U.S. regulatory landscape poised to change, now more than ever it is essential for industry experts to join with regulators and conduct timely debates on the role and operation of Swap Execution Facilities in the face of Dodd-Frank reforms and how this will reshape the industry for years to come," said Shawn Bernardo, WMBAA Chairman and a senior managing director at Tullett Prebon. "We are delighted to be joined by so many high profile industry and regulatory experts who will give us meaningful insights into the critical issues that it is vital we debate."
SEFCON II will focus on the role and operation of Swap Execution Facilities (SEFs) under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. The conference will provide global financial institutions with a comprehensive overview of this new regulatory category for U.S. swap market intermediaries. As with SEFCON I, this year's conference is designed to bring together swaps professionals from leading brokers and other intermediaries, institutional dealers, buy-side traders and corporate end-users along with regulators, legislators, lawyers, accountants and economists to discuss and consider the role and operation of SEFs in the new US regulatory landscape.
SEFCON remains the only conference series singularly focused on the regulatory classification of SEFs under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
Additional information is available online at: www.flaggmgmt.com/SEFCON
Information on sponsoring and exhibiting can be obtained at www.flaggmgmt.com/SEFCON or by phoning Flagg Management Inc at: 212-286-0333.
Wholesale Markets Brokers' Association, Americas
The Wholesale Markets Brokers' Association, Americas (WMBAA) is an independent industry body representing the largest inter-dealer brokers (IDBs) operating in the North American wholesale markets across a broad range of financial products. The five founding members of the group are: BGC Partners; GFI Group; ICAP; Tradition; and Tullett Prebon. The association seeks to promote the quality and standards of the industry and the critical role played by wholesale brokers in the efficient functioning of financial markets, working with key public policymakers on regulation and oversight of over-the-counter (OTC) markets and their participants. For more information, please go to www.wmbaa.org.