CHICAGO, April 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Zacks.com releases the list of companies likely to issue earnings surprises. This week's list includes Humana (NYSE: HUM), NYSE Euronext (NYSE: NYX), Loews Corp. (NYSE: L), Pfizer (NYSE: PFE) and Archer Daniels Midland (NYSE: ADM). To see more earnings analysis, visit http://at.zacks.com/?id=3207.
Every day, Zacks.com makes 4 stock picks available, free of charge. To see them, go to http://at.zacks.com/?id=3567.
Attention Shifts to Jobs
The focus this week will be on the labor market, with the April non-farm payroll report coming out on Friday. Many will be hoping that this report will provide confirmation that last month's disappointment was just a one-off event and the positive trend line of the preceding months is still in place.
Jobs aside, we are still in the midst of the first quarter 2012 reporting season, though we have crossed the mid-point of the cycle with about 60% of the results already in. With another 124 S&P 500 companies reporting results in the coming week, we will have results from roughly 84% of the companies by the end of this week.
The first quarter earnings season has turned out to be much stronger relative to pre-season expectations. For the 60% of the companies that have already reported, total earnings growth is tracking 9.4%, with roughly 71% coming out with positive earnings surprises. Most of the growth is coming through revenue gains, with aggregate margins essentially flat from the year-earlier level. This is a far cry from pre-season expectations, when aggregate earnings were expected to be down modestly from the year-earlier period.Monday-4/30
- We have the March Personal Income & Outlays report coming out before the markets open, with expectations for a 0.3% increase in personal income following last month's 0.2% gain.
- While income growth has been kind of muted lately, the focus will be on the spending side, which is expected to have increased by 0.4% in March following the strong 0.8% gain in February. Given the strong consumer spending component in the advance first quarter GDP report, the spending expectations will likely prove conservative.
- Before markets open, earnings reports from Humana (NYSE: HUM), NYSE Euronext (NYSE: NYX) and Loews Corp. (NYSE: L) will come out before the market opens.
Tuesday - 5/1
- There are no major economic releases before the markets open, but the April Manufacturing ISM survey and the March Construction Spending reports come out afterward.
- The ISM reading is expected to come down a bit from preceding month's reading of 53.4, while Construction Spending is expected to show a positive 0.4% growth after February's 1.1% decline.
- On the earnings front, the major releases in the morning are from Pfizer (NYSE: PFE), Archer Daniels Midland (NYSE: ADM),
Sheraz Mian is the Director of Research for Zacks.com.
About the Zacks Rank
Since 1988, the Zacks Rank has proven that "Earnings estimate revisions are the most powerful force impacting stock prices." Since inception in 1988, #1 Rank Stocks have generated an average annual return of +28%. During the 2000-2002 bear market, Zacks #1 Rank stocks gained +43.8%, while the S&P 500 tumbled -37.6%. Also note that the Zacks Rank system has just as many Strong Sell recommendations (Rank #5) as Strong Buy recommendations (Rank #1). Since 1988, Zacks Rank #5 stocks have significantly underperformed the S&P 500 (+3% versus +10%). Thus, the Zacks Rank system allows investors to truly manage portfolio trading effectively.
Zacks "Profit from the Pros" e-mail newsletter offers continuous coverage of the industries and the stocks poised to outperform the market. Subscribe to this free newsletter today by visiting http://at.zacks.com/?id=4988.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978 by Len Zacks. As a PhD from MIT Len knew he could find patterns in stock market data that would lead to superior investment results. Amongst his many accomplishments was the formation of his proprietary stock picking system; the Zacks Rank, which continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Register for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros by going to http://at.zacks.com/?id=3568.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ZacksInvestmentResearch
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Visit http://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Disclaimer: Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investors should always research companies and securities before making any investments. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security.
SOURCE Zacks Investment Research, Inc.