NEW YORK, Dec. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP announces the release of its Fall 2010 Review, entitled Conducting Business Abroad. This edition focuses on the complex legal issues design and professional services firms face when contemplating expansion into international jurisdictions.
"The recession has produced opportunities for and, in some cases forced, U.S.-based construction and design professional firms to explore doing business abroad," said Patricia Harris, Managing Partner of Zetlin & De Chiara. "Preparing your firm to take that leap requires recognition that global business practices are not one-size-fits-all and a successful foray will require you to devise strategies that address the customs indigenous to your new overseas location."
- Foreign Employment Issues for the Unwary by Michael K. De Chiara illustrates the danger of assuming international disability and discharge procedures mirror domestic ones, and warns against under-researching a firm's legal obligations to internationally-based employees.
- Construction and Corruption: The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by Michael J. Vardaro and Alexander Kipnis demonstrates how American anti-corruption standards define and penalize bribery and lax accounting practices, and explains how to create a healthy corporate compliance program.
- The ABCs of International Practice Development by Lina G. Telese and Anthony J. DiBrita Jr. addresses the murky waters of establishing an office in various countries, including licensing/registration, immigration, insurance, and banking concerns, and shares specific instances where local customs may influence legal contracts.
- China: The New Urban Frontier, by Mark Blumkin and Clarence Kwan, and China: New Regulations Establishing Foreign Invested Partnerships, by James J. Terry and Kyle Hendrickson, herald an unprecedented age of urban development and global cooperation for the formerly isolated country.
- Greening the Globe by Michael J. Vardaro outlines the United Nations' efforts to develop worldwide building emissions monitoring standards.
About Zetlin & De Chiara LLP
Zetlin & De Chiara LLP is a construction law firm committed to providing innovative legal and business advisory services to the design, construction and real estate industries. The firm advises clients at every step of the design and construction process from initial negotiation of contracts through the design and construction phases and, if necessary, through dispute resolution. Zetlin & De Chiara is headquartered in New York with offices in New Jersey and Connecticut.
SOURCE Zetlin & De Chiara LLP