PASADENA, Calif., Jan. 18, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE: ARE), an urban office REIT uniquely focused on collaborative life science and technology campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations, today announced it was awarded a 2017 Governor's Environmental and Economic Leadership Award (GEELA), California's highest environmental honor. Alexandria accepted its award in the "Sustainable Practices, Communities or Facilities" category at a ceremony held yesterday evening at the California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) headquarters in Sacramento, CA.
GEELA recognizes individuals, organizations and businesses that have demonstrated exceptional leadership and made notable contributions to conserving California's precious resources and protecting and enhancing the environment while simultaneously promoting the state's economic growth.
Alexandria owns, operates and develops sustainable, healthy campuses that contribute to the growth, stability and diversity of California's economy and enhance the ability of the company's high-quality and diverse tenants to recruit and retain world-class talent; promote health and wellness; and inspire productivity, efficiency and discovery. The company's innovative and long-term approach to sustainability and its value to California's environment and economy contributed to its selection by CalEPA. Key initiatives that led to receiving this prestigious award include:
- Earning 28 LEED® certifications in California since 2007, including the state's first LEED Platinum Core and Shell laboratory project and the first LEED Silver Core and Shell office/laboratory building in the state under the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) pilot program;
- Reducing greenhouse gas pollution across the company by 5 percent from 2015 to 2016;
- Supporting and participating in economic development initiatives in San Francisco and San Diego, which have added thousands of life science jobs to the clusters;
- Collaborating with the Center for Active Design and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as part of the company's commitment as a "First-in-Class Fitwel Champion," to grow the practice of designing and operating commercial buildings that are scientifically proven to improve health;
- Running comprehensive transportation programs, such as providing shuttles to and from public transportation stations to reduce traffic, pollution and carbon emissions from automobiles.
"At Alexandria, economic and environmental leadership go hand in hand," said Ari Frankel, assistant vice president of sustainability and high-performance buildings at Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. "We are proud to be recognized by CalEPA and its partners for our efforts to catalyze quality job creation, economic activity and sustainable urban infill development in some of California's most innovative and dynamic cities."
In 2017, Alexandria also earned a "Green Star" from the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) and received a "Leader in the Light" Sustainability Award from Nareit in the "Most Innovative" category.
About Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc.
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE: ARE), an S&P 500® company, is an urban office REIT uniquely focused on collaborative life science and technology campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations, with a total market capitalization of $16.1 billion and an asset base in North America of 28.6 million square feet as of September 30, 2017. The asset base in North America includes 20.6 million RSF of operating properties, including 1.5 million RSF of development and redevelopment of new Class A properties currently undergoing construction. Additionally, the asset base in North America includes 8.0 million SF of future development projects, including 1.1 million SF of near-term projects undergoing marketing for lease and pre-construction activities and 3.3 million SF of intermediate-term development projects. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland and Research Triangle Park. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science and technology campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity and success. We believe these advantages result in higher occupancy levels, longer lease terms, higher rental income, higher returns and greater long-term asset value. For more information, please visit www.are.com.
CONTACT: Joel S. Marcus, Chief Executive Officer, Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., (626) 578-9693
SOURCE Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc.