LOS ANGELES, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Robert L. Johnson, Founder and Chairman of The RLJ Companies, and Tracey E. Edmonds, President and CEO of Alright TV, today announced the new programming slate of upcoming family-oriented and faith-friendly content developed for the channel created in collaboration with YouTube. Alright TV will launch on Easter Sunday, March 31st and will appeal to the aspirational and inspirational goals of consumers of all ages with buzz-worthy comedies, talk, reality, music, and online streaming of Sunday church services from around the country.
"I am very excited about the launch of Alright TV and the broad array of diversified producer-generated content that has been produced and made available through the channel," said Johnson. "Tracey is an award-winning producer and I am confident that viewers will enjoy the new digital series that she and her team have developed featuring well known artists and personalities from the faith-based, reality, sports and entertainment industries. Alright TV's content and collaboration with YouTube represents the spectrum of new and exciting opportunities for consumers and advertisers," he concluded.
"Alright TV is a groundbreaking channel that will revolutionize faith-friendly content viewing and will feature premiere talent along with rising stars," said Edmonds. "There has been, and for some time, a lack of availability of faith-based, family friendly programming on television. Alright TV, in collaboration with YouTube's global platform, fills this gap by making the genre available to everyone." She continued, "We have incredible talent on board and are excited to present our viewers with new digital series that offer the best in feel-good, value based entertainment that will both inspire and motivate. I look forward to continuing to work with YouTube and our outstanding creative team of writers that have produced quality entertainment for the channel, ultimately creating a lineup of some of the best digital offerings that consumers will enjoy."
Upcoming Alright TV premieres include:
- Issa Rae, the creative mind behind the ground-breaking Internet sensation Awkward Black Girl, brings us The Choir, a comedic series about the personal, spiritual and often controversial dynamics of a revered church choir.
- NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders debuts two new inspirational reality series. In Sports Dads, Sanders comes to the rescue to counsel families of sports-obsessed parents pushing their children too hard. He will also produce and star in Truth, an inspirational show that will uplift and motivate viewers to put a more positive outlook into practice.
- Take Action, produced by 1820 Productions features Cheryl "Action" Jackson transforming the lives of families in need. Facing hard hitting economic struggles that have impacted the lives of families from around the country, Jackson and her team bring hope and joy to families in need by blessing them with gifts that help with everyday family living.
- Written by Vanessa Middleton, former co-executive producer of The Cosby Show, Walk This Way is a comedy sketch series in which parishioners seek advice from their pastor for some of the most unusual problems. Series stars Michael Kenneth Williams (Boardwalk Empire, The Wire).
- Ms. Right and Mr. Right are two webisode series that explore dating from both the male and female perspectives. Ms. Right stars DeRay Davis of 21 Jump Street and Jumping the Broom and Mr. Right stars Kali Hawk of Couples Retreat and New Girl both on the search for love through a series of blind dates with the most undesirable candidates in hopes of finding their respective Mr. and Ms. Right.
- YouTube's popular comedy trio, The Playmakers – Kevin Fredericks, Jason Fredericks, and Anthony Davis bring faith-friendly comedy with hilarious takes on some of the most recognizable church related topics.
- The No-Budget Gourmet, Bravo's Top Chef alum and from the Food Network's Private Chefs of Beverly Hills, Chef Brian Hill teaches America how to eat well and spend less on meals that will impress. Chef Brian is joined by special comedy guests each episode.
- Dr. James Meschino headlines Pure Health, an in-depth look at the natural ways to approach health and living.
- Dormtainment features You Tube's super popular 6-man Atlanta comedy sketch troop who deliver laugh out loud webisodes on the trials and tribulations of college and young adult life.
- Celebrity lifestylist AJ Johnson shows viewers how to attain a better mind, body and soul in The AJ ZONE.
- Preach On, Teach On, an amateur blog series where rising inspirational speakers offer words of encouragement and inspiration that empowers.
- Vurch will live-stream weekly church services and sermons of pastors from around the country. With its innovative platform and national database of devotional and worship churches, Vurch features some of today's foremost spiritual leaders such as Bishop T.D. Jakes, Reverend Michael Beckwith, Bishop Paul S. Morton, and Apostle Frederick K. C. Price.
- Powerful inspirational, theme-based messages will be featured with Message from the Masters, a collection of teachings from pastors of various ministries and well known inspirational speakers.
- In addition to live-streaming weekly broadcasts of devotional and worship services, Alright TV will feature an array of powerful inspirational messages, gospel and Christian-themed musical videos on demand and ministries from well-known speakers and spiritual leaders.
About The RLJ Companies: The RLJ Companies, founded by Robert L. Johnson, is an innovative business network that provides strategic investments in a diverse portfolio of companies. Within The RLJ Companies portfolio, Johnson owns or holds interests in businesses operating in a publicly traded hotel real estate investment trust; private equity; financial services; asset management; insurance services; automobile dealerships; sports and entertainment; and video lottery terminal (VLT) gaming. The RLJ Companies is headquartered in Bethesda, MD, with affiliate operations in Charlotte, NC; Little Rock, AR; Los Angeles, CA; San Juan, PR; and Monrovia, Liberia. Prior to founding The RLJ Companies, Johnson was founder and chairman of Black Entertainment Television (BET). For more information visit: www.rljcompanies.com.
About Our Stories Films, LLC: Our Stories Films is the first African American owned film production studio that produces theatrical motion pictures that showcase the talents of African Americans on both sides of the camera and in the creative process. Founded in 2006, Our Stories Films is headquartered in Hollywood, CA, and targets underserved, urban audiences within the family and urban comedy genre with a production budget of $5M–$7M per film. In May 2011, Our Stories Films in collaboration with TriStar, a Sony Pictures Entertainment company, produced and released Jumping the Broom, which debuted as the number one comedy during the opening box office weekend. For additional information please visit: www.ourstoriesfilms.com.
About Alright TV: Alright TV is a groundbreaking digital channel that will revolutionize faith friendly content viewing. Featuring premiere talent along with rising stars, Alright TV offers the best in feel-good, value based entertainment which will inspire and motivate. Alright TV brings buzz-worthy comedies, talk, reality, music, and the streaming of national Sunday church services. Developed by Robert L. Johnson, founder and chairman of The RLJ Companies and Tracey E. Edmonds, President and COO of Our Stories Films, Alright TV is a digital collaboration with YouTube that includes an array of online productions and entertainment. For more about Alright TV visit: www.youtube.com/alrighttv or www.alrighttv.com.
Contact: Traci Otey Blunt, 240.744.7858 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE The RLJ Companies