ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, American Trucking Associations is proud to name 19 professional truck drivers as Captains of the 2015-2016 America's Road Team.
"America's Road Team represents the best of what trucking can be: dedication to safety, professionalism and pride in an industry that delivers life's essentials every day," said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. "These 19 outstanding professionals join a select fraternity. Since 1986, America's Road Team has delivered the message of safety to millions, and I'm proud that these individuals will now be representing our industry."
The 19 new captains have 453 combined years of experience and have logged more than 30.3 million accident-free miles. They were selected over the past three days from among 31 finalists and overall from hundreds of applicants.
Founded in 1986, and sponsored by Volvo Trucks since 2002, America's Road Team represents the country's 3.2 million professional drivers and serves as an example of the dedication and teamwork needed to deliver America's freight safely and on time.
"We are proud to congratulate and support the top-notch professional drivers who have been selected as Captains of the 2015-2016 America's Road Team," said Göran Nyberg, president, Volvo Trucks North American Sales and Marketing. "As industry ambassadors, their work in educating the public and policy makers on safety, sustainability and the essential role that trucking plays in our economy is vital. We also thank and applaud the companies that support the Road Team Captains and this program."
While maintaining their jobs as full-time professional drivers, the new Captains will now travel the country speaking on behalf of the trucking industry to communities, news media and public officials. The Captains will address transportation and safety issues, speaking at community events and anywhere they can reach the motoring public to share safe driving tips and offer advice on how to safely share the road with tractor-trailers.
The Road Team Captains also advocate safety to those within the industry at terminals and truck stops. They speak with fellow drivers, driver training students and corporate safety officers. They also have the opportunity to present trucking and safety issues before our public officials, at the national, state and local levels.
To be nominated to serve as a Road Team Captain, the candidates must be employed as a company driver or leased owner-operator by a full dues paying member of ATA. Each nominee must have an excellent safety record and demonstrate an ability to communicate a commitment to safety and professionalism.
The new members of the 2015-2016 America's Road Team are:
- Henry Bruster, UPS Freight, Woodville, Miss.
- Ricardo Buitrago, Con-way Freight, Kissimmee, Fla.
- Charles Demchock II, Walmart Transportation, Cocoa, Fla.
- Eric Flick, FedEx Freight, Dayton, Nev.
- David Green, Werner Enterprises, Hot Springs, Ark.
- Neil Kirk, Penske Logistics, Middletown, N.Y.
- Randall Luschen, Weinrich Truck Line Inc., Merrill, Iowa
- John McKown, UPS Freight, East Berlin, Pa.
- Chad Miller, ABF Freight System Inc., Crown Point, Ind.
- Bill Minor, Con-way Freight, West Milwaukee, Wis.
- Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, Wittmann, Ariz.
- Paul Savill, UPS Freight, Hamilton, Ohio
- Russell Simpson, Holland Inc., South Vienna, Ohio
- Danny Smith, Big G Express Inc., Shelbyville, Tenn.
- Tim Vogt, Con-way Freight, Loganville, Ga.
- Kirk Weis, ABF Freight System Inc., Rio Rancho, N.M.
- William West, ABF Freight System Inc., Roopville, Ga.
- Derrick Whittle, Cargo Transporters Inc., Fieldale, Va.
- Scott Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio
The America's Road Team, sponsored by Volvo Trucks, is a national public outreach program led by a small group of professional truck drivers who share superior driving skills, remarkable safety records and a strong desire to spread the word about safety on the highway. www.americasroadteam.com.
American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation's freight. Follow ATA on Twitter or on Facebook. Trucking Moves America Forward
SOURCE American Trucking Associations