Inaugural Report Outlines Company's Commitment to Responsible, Ethical and Sustainable Operations
LAVAL, Quebec, Sept. 27, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Bausch Health Companies Inc. (NYSE/TSX: BHC) today announced the launch of its first annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report. The report showcases the Company's responsible, ethical and sustainable operations, as well as its recent progress in five key commitment areas: operating with integrity; respecting the environment; advancing global health and patient care; improving communities; and supporting employee growth and well-being.
"Our corporate social responsibility program is an extension of the Company's mission of improving people's lives with our health care products and advancing global health," said Joseph C. Papa, chairman and CEO, Bausch Health. "Bausch Health has made many meaningful improvements in operational sustainability, which builds on our ongoing commitment to operate with the highest standards of ethical behavior. We are proud to launch our inaugural CSR report and look forward to advancing these initiatives and programs in the years ahead."
The inaugural CSR report, which spans 2016 through early 2018, serves as an introduction to the foundational work of Bausch Health. In coming years, the Company will be establishing and reporting consistently on key performance measures across each of the areas. Some of the key accomplishments highlighted in the report include the following:
- Establishment of the Patient Access and Pricing Committee in 2016, which fosters responsible pricing practices, including Bausch Health's pledge that the average annual price increase for branded prescription products will be set at no greater than single digits
- Sustainable manufacturing practices that promote the use of materials that can be recycled, minimize post-industrial waste, avoid known negative impacts on the environment and support fuel, energy, water and waste efficiency
- More than four million used contact lens materials have been recycled through the ONE by ONE Program, the first contact lens recycling program of its kind, launched in 2016 in a collaboration with TerraCycle®, which has diverted more than 25,000 pounds of waste from landfills
- Establishment of The Bausch Foundation in 2017 to improve the lives of patients globally by providing access to safe, effective medicines and by financially supporting health care education and causes around the world
- Recently expanded Bausch + Lomb facility in Waterford, Ireland, which was redesigned to a higher environmental sustainability standard, achieving:
- LEED certification standards—one of only two such facilities in Ireland built to these standards—estimated to save 1.356 kWh and 624 tons of CO2 per year
- Inclusion of a combined heat and power energy generation system, which produces 72% of the facility's electricity, 80% of the plant's thermal energy and significantly reduces carbon emissions
- Achieving a zero waste to landfill goal in 2017 by reaching a 99.82% recyclable and reuse success level
- Investments in energy-efficient lighting, energy-efficient heating and cooling technologies and water conservation programs in multiple Bausch Health facilities
- Contribution of millions of dollars in financial and product donations to global charitable health organizations
The full report can be viewed in the Responsibility section of Bausch Health's website at https://www.bauschhealth.com/responsibility.
About Bausch Health
Bausch Health Companies Inc. (NYSE/TSX: BHC) is a global company whose mission is to improve people's lives with our health care products. We develop, manufacture and market a range of pharmaceutical, medical device and over-the-counter products, primarily in the therapeutic areas of eye health, gastroenterology and dermatology. We are delivering on our commitments as we build an innovative company dedicated to advancing global health. More information can be found at www.bauschhealth.com.
This news release may contain forward-looking statements, which may generally be identified by the use of the words "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "should," "could," "would," "may," "will," "believes," "estimates," "potential," "target," or "continue" and variations or similar expressions. These statements are based upon the current expectations and beliefs of management and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties discussed in the Company's most recent annual or quarterly report and detailed from time to time in the Company's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Canadian Securities Administrators, which factors are incorporated herein by reference. In addition, certain material factors and assumptions have been applied in making these forward-looking statements, including that the risks and uncertainties outlined above will not cause actual results or events to differ materially from those described in these forward-looking statements. The Company believes that the material factors and assumptions reflected in these forward-looking statements are reasonable, but readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Bausch Health undertakes no obligation to update any of these forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of this news release or to reflect actual outcomes, unless required by law.
SOURCE Bausch Health Companies Inc.