OCEANSIDE, Calif., June 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- To attract new clients, independent consultants and executive coaches should share valuable information by writing and speaking, according to a new book.
"The number one marketing tool is a book and the number one marketing strategy is a speech," says Henry DeVries, author of "Marketing With a Book: The Science of Attracting High-Paying Clients for Consultants and Coaches," (Indie Books International, 2015). "Research shows independent consultants and coaches can fill a pipeline with qualified clients in as little as 30 days by offering advice to prospects on how to overcome pressing problems, if they have the right marketing DNA."
DeVries, co-founder and CEO of Indie Books International, speaks to thousands of consultants and coaches each year on the best ways to attract clients.
"However, before you can begin attracting clients with books and speeches, you need to create a marketing genetic code that is attractive to clients," says DeVries. "All your marketing messages, from networking discussions to speeches, will contain the elements of this marketing DNA that positions you as a thought leader."
Here are 10 steps from "Marketing With a Book" that consultants and coaches can use to improve their marketing appeal:
- Name your business without your name. Create a business name or a website name that gives potential clients a hint at the results you can produce for them. The worst possible business name or website name is your name. "I know, I know, Ford, McKinsey and Price Waterhouse are named after the founders," says DeVries. "But you are not them. At least, not yet. Sorry to say, clients don't want us — they want results."
- Boil it down. Write a headline for your website and marketing materials that describes your audience and the results you produce for them. Do this in no more than 10 words.
- Name your client's pain. What are your client's worries, frustrations, and concerns that you help solve? This is also called the FUD factor: fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
- How to fix it. Describe your solution or methodology for solving these pains. What process do you follow to produce results? Offering a proprietary problem-solving process that you name and trademark is best. This answers the all-important question in their minds: "Why should I do business with you instead of one of your competitors?"
- The myths. State the common misperceptions that hold many back from getting results. Why doesn't everybody offer solutions?
- Step by step. Tell your clients what they need to do in general to solve their problem.
- The extras. List other benefits they get from following your methods.
- Track record. Elaborate on your track record of providing measurable results for clients. Be as specific as possible. Use numbers, percentages and time factors.
- Give it away. Create a website with free tips articles on how to solve these pains. Each article should be between 300 and 600 words. Each tip can be numbered so it can be read easily.
- An offer they can't refuse. Offer prospects a free special report on your website. You are offering to trade them a valuable piece of information for their e-mail address. Tell them they will also receive a tips e-newsletter from you. Assure them you will maintain their privacy and they can easily opt out of your list at any time.
DeVries has served as an editor, ghostwriter, or credited coauthor of more than 165 business books. He is also a professional speaker on the topics of "Marketing With a Book" and "Persuading With a Story." He teaches marketing and is the former assistant dean for continuing education at the University of California, San Diego. As the founder of the New Client Marketing Institute and the Marketing With a Book and Speech Summits, he trains independent consultants and executive coaches.
About Indie Books International
Indie Books International (www.indiebooksintl.com) was founded in 2014 in Oceanside, California by two best-selling business authors. Similar to indie film companies and indie music labels, the mission of Indie Books International is to serve as an independent publishing alternative for consultants, executive coaches and business thought leaders.
SOURCE Indie Books International