PARSIPPANY, N.J., July 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Jackson Hewitt Tax Service®, the nation's second largest tax preparation firm, today announced the nationwide launch of its Tax Schools(1) in preparation for the 2013 tax season. Jackson Hewitt Tax Schools offer a comprehensive curriculum to meet the tax education needs of individuals who are new to the tax preparation field, as well as the ongoing training requirements of experienced tax professionals.
This year, tax preparer education and training takes on a new level of importance, as all tax professionals, regardless of experience level, will be required to pass the new Registered Tax Return Preparer ("RTRP") Competency Test by December 31, 2013 under new Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") regulations. In addition, the IRS now requires tax return preparers to complete certain annual continuing education requirements. Jackson Hewitt is an approved IRS Continuing Education provider, which allows tax preparers to earn valuable continuing education credit upon completion of courses.
The demand for well-trained, high-quality tax preparers remains high, as roughly 70 million taxpayers turn to a paid tax preparer for assistance filing a tax return each year. To meet this demand, Jackson Hewitt hires, trains and deploys a tax preparer workforce comprised of both year round and seasonal employees. Jackson Hewitt, a leader in tax preparer development, conducts extensive training programs, which support the company's ongoing commitment to providing quality, accurate tax preparation services that meet the needs and expectations of its clients.
"We are excited to get the Jackson Hewitt Tax Schools up and running this year, as we look forward to not only helping individuals prepare to enter the tax preparation field, but also assisting experienced tax preparers with the continuation of their education and preparation for the IRS RTRP test," said Philip H. Sanford, president and chief executive officer of Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. "The IRS has new certification requirements and our education and training curriculum will be highly advantageous to tax preparers, both in meeting all IRS requirements and standards, and in gaining the skills to excel in the tax preparation field. Well-trained, quality tax preparers are the cornerstone of our business. Our commitment to the tax training programs and competency testing we provide translates into the delivery of quality, accurate tax preparation service to our clients."
New Tax Preparer Training
If you are interested in becoming a tax preparer, the Jackson Hewitt Tax School offers a great opportunity to get started. Our Basic Income Tax Course is a progressive tax education program, designed for beginners, and no prior tax preparation experience is required. Students not only learn about tax law, but are also given the opportunity to apply what they have learned by completing several sample tax returns as they advance through the course. Courses are offered in a traditional classroom setting, as well as online. As you progress, Jackson Hewitt will assist you with obtaining a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN), which is now required in order to prepare federal tax returns for a fee. Additionally, the Jackson Hewitt Tax School curriculum will help prepare tax preparers to take the IRS RTRP Competency Test.
Training Curriculum Includes ExamMatrix Registered Tax Return Preparer Exam Review
This year, Jackson Hewitt has partnered with ExamMatrix to make their RTRP Competency Test Review course available at a significant discount to all Jackson Hewitt Tax School students. ExamMatrix is a leading provider of computer-based test prep courses utilizing adaptive learning technology. The RTRP Competency Test is an IRS mandated test that tax professionals are required to pass by December 31, 2013, unless they are already a Certified Public Accountant, IRS Enrolled Agent or attorney.
Benefits of Becoming a Tax Preparer with Jackson Hewitt
In addition to taking advantage of the tax education and training curriculum offered by the Jackson Hewitt Tax Schools, new and experienced tax preparers can explore the benefits of obtaining employment at Jackson Hewitt, which include:
- Career building opportunities – The opportunity to join the Jackson Hewitt team is more than just a job, it's also about an employment opportunity in an industry that is always in demand, and to work with a nationally branded company with stores in local neighborhoods;
- Flexible hours – The majority of Jackson Hewitt employees are seasonal workers who enjoy the flexibility of working part of the year, while being able to commit to family or other projects over the remaining months;
- Convenient, hands-on training – Each Jackson Hewitt tax preparer is required to complete courses offered through Jackson Hewitt Tax School, which provides a thorough introduction to tax preparation, as well as advanced courses for experienced tax preparers;
- Understanding of, and compliance with, federal requirements – Jackson Hewitt works to ensure its tax preparers are up-to-date on all IRS requirements, such as obtaining a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN), which is required to prepare federal tax returns for a fee, as well as preparing for and passing the new RTRP Competency Test in advance of December 31, 2013; and,
- FREE continuing education opportunities – All Jackson Hewitt employees are able to meet their annual continuing education credit requirements free of charge. We offer an extensive course catalog in each of the content areas required by the IRS.
How to Locate a Jackson Hewitt Tax School and Obtain Dates and Hours
To locate a Jackson Hewitt Tax School near you, and to obtain class dates and hours, call 1-800-234-1040, or visit www.jacksonhewitt.com.
About Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.
Based in Parsippany, NJ, Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. is an industry-leading provider of full service individual federal and state income tax preparation, with nearly 6,500 franchised and company-owned locations throughout the United States, including 2,800 located in Walmart stores nationwide, in the 2012 tax season. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service® also offers an online tax preparation product at www.jacksonhewittonline.com. For more information, or to locate your neighborhood Jackson Hewitt® office, visit www.jacksonhewitt.com or call 1-800-234-1040. Jackson Hewitt can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.
(1) Enrollment in, or completion of courses, is neither an offer, nor a guarantee, of employment. Additional training, experience or skills may be required. Most offices are independently owned and operated.
David G. Weselcouch
Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.
CooperKatz & Company
SOURCE Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.