ROCKVILLE, Md., Oct. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Relevant Health, a health technology startup accelerator in the Washington, DC metro area, welcomes its inaugural class.
The selected startups come to Relevant Health from its backyard of Bethesda and Rockville, as well as Washington, DC, Baltimore, New York City, and Latvia. This week, the cohort of startups embarks on a five-month program that involves an intensive product development focus, enabling them to improve their skills to define, develop, position and launch a viable health tech product.
"Relevant Health chose candidates who have a vision and business model for a product that promises significant positive impacts in the health sector," stated Rich Bendis, BioHealth Innovation President and CEO. "A cohort of companies building wearable devices, consumer-facing health apps, and provider-facing healthcare platforms is a strong representation of the innovation occurring in the health marketplace."
Relevant Health startups include:
- AgeWell Biometrics (Baltimore) is developing a predictive data analytics platform, which uses the sensors in wearable and mobile devices to determine risk of falling among seniors.
- CheeksUp (Latvia) is developing an interactive computer-guided system to support childhood speech therapy by making routine therapy exercises more fun for children, as well as more affordable for parents and convenient for specialists.
- ErgonometriX (Rockville, MD) is developing a wearable hardware device and related cloud-based analytics to identify, track and reduce workers' high-risk lifting maneuvers that ultimately lead to lower back injuries.
- The Gastro Girl (Falls Church, VA) team is developing a technology platform to deliver health coaching and support to the community of patients living with gastrointestinal conditions.
- Lazy (Washington, DC) is developing a product to simplify complex reporting requirements that impact hospitals and other health providers.
- Neopenda (New York City) is developing a wearable device that monitors the vital signs of newborns in low-resource neonatal units around the world.
- Werbie (Bethesda, MD) is developing a mobile and web application focused on nutritional coaching for women managing high-risk pregnancies, leveraging the founder's success with her best-selling book on nutrition during pregnancy.
"We are delighted to have this opportunity to support a group of talented companies working to solve some of today's biggest health challenges," said Andy Richman, Partner at ProductSavvy and Relevant Health Managing Partner. "We have high expectations for this inaugural class and are excited to help them as they build world-class products and great businesses."
About Relevant Health
Relevant Health is a health tech startup accelerator program. Admitted companies have access to a cowork facility in Rockville, Maryland and receive additional support that includes $50,000 in funding, software development support, mentorship and working in the local health tech ecosystem. Relevant Health is a partnership between BioHealth Innovation, Inc., ProductSavvy Consulting, and Montgomery County Economic Development. Learn more at www.relevanthealth.md.
About BioHealth Innovation, Inc.
BioHealth Innovation, Inc., is an innovation intermediary providing commercial assistance to scientists and founders, educating and infusing Maryland's biohealth community with new entrepreneurial firms. BHI's strategic partners come from industry, investment, academia, and government sector to support the development of emerging biohealth companies. Learn more at www.biohealthinnovation.org.
SOURCE Relevant Health