SOLON, Ohio, Dec. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As the holidays draw closer, it can become more and more difficult to take the time to prepare a home-cooked meal. With busier schedules at the end of the year, chopping, cooking and serving may simply take up too much time, and, we all know how guilty it can feel to forgo a healthy dinner for something quick and easy. However, it's possible to have the best of both worlds: why not lean on your freezer to help you create a tasty and nutritious dinner for the family during the weeknights?
Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/7984951-nestle-balanced-meals-with-favorite-frozen-foods
On average, people living in the United States are only meeting the U.S. Department of Agriculture's MyPlate recommendations for servings of vegetables, fruit, proteins, dairy and grains seven days out of the year. Even though many families enjoy home-cooked meals on a regular basis, they seem to fall short in nutrition. Using Nestlé's Balance Your Plate program, you can create a delicious and balanced meal by pairing your favorite frozen meals and pizzas with made-from-scratch side dishes.
Frozen entrees are easy to keep on hand for a meal that will be ready to go whenever you need it. Carolyn O'Neil, registered dietician and cookbook author, recommends using the freezer like "nature's pause button" to save great flavors and good nutrition for when you're ready to cook.
Here's a great way to enjoy a delicious DIGIORNO pizzeria! Quattro Formaggi/Four Cheese pizza, made with vine-ripened tomatoes and premium toppings with no artificial flavors, and still offer a balanced plate by pairing it with a side salad and roasted garlic broccoli.
Or perhaps the family is craving some creamy mac & cheese. Try pairing a tasty STOUFFER'S Macaroni & Cheese, made with fresh pasta and 100% real cheddar cheese, with a homemade side dish like this Grilled Corn & Tomato Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette.
Grilled Corn & Tomato Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette (LINK HERE):
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Salad:
- 4 ears corn
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large romaine hearts, cut in half
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- To make the vinaigrette, add all of the first 11 ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. With the processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat gas, charcoal, or indoor grill pan. Drizzle the corn with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning every 1-2 minutes, until all sides are lightly charred. Cool slightly before removing the kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl, combine spring mix, corn, tomatoes, cucumber, and blue cheese. Toss to combine. Serve with the roasted red pepper vinaigrette.
Here are some other great ideas for family friendly side dishes:
Shaved Cucumber & Carrot Salad (LINK HERE)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3 medium carrots, peeled
2 cups shaved English cucumber
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Combine sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Shave carrots into thin strips using a vegetable peeler. Add carrot and cucumber mixture to the vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Top with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Chili Lime Butternut Squash
Recipe courtesy of Nestlé
4 cups butternut squash, large diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
olive oil spray
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- In bowl, toss all ingredients except olive oil spray together.
- Spray foil-lined sheet tray with olive oil spray and spread vegetables over tray.
- Roast in oven 20 minutes.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/serve-a-tasty-and-balanced-meal-with-your-familys-favorite-frozen-foods-300372471.html
SOURCE Nestle USA