SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Dec. 4, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- A new calendar year brings fresh design trends for homeowners to start incorporating into their homes. With more than 8,000 homes built last year, national homebuilder and developer Taylor Morrison has special insight into the design trends buyers are incorporating into their homes. Here are nine trends from the builder's in-house design experts for 2019 based on the selections homebuyers are choosing today.
1. Healthy homes. "One trend we're seeing is a shift toward becoming eco-friendlier and bringing healthy lifestyles straight into our homes," shared Lee Crowder, design gallery and model home branding manager for Taylor Morrison and Darling Homes in Houston and Dallas. "While there are a lot of different ways to achieve this look, one must-have is an abundance of plants. Bringing touches from the outdoors inside is not only an aesthetic choice, but real plants also provide the benefit of filtering the harmful chemicals out of your home." Crowder also suggests opting for natural materials over manmade, ditching dirt- and dust-trapping carpet for hardwood and swapping high-gloss paint for flat finishes—they have fewer harmful chemicals.
2. Low vs. high maintenance. Charlotte-based Taylor Morrison Design Consultant Brittany Wightman sees many single female buyers opting for aesthetics over easy maintenance or function. "Achieving an all-white dream living room is a little easier when there are fewer people—especially kids—living under one roof," said Wightman. On the other hand, consumers with larger families are opting for finishes that are easier to maintain. "A simple way to make your life easier is by choosing finishes that don't require a ton of TLC. Choosing quartz over granite and opting for larger tiles over smaller ones means less grout to clean."
3. Fashion-forward. "Fashion trends are bleeding into home décor and design," said Crowder. "If you paid attention to fashion week, you would have seen browns and tartan plaids being very prominent this year, and those are some of the same trends we're seeing in furniture design and accessories. If you see it on the runway, you will start seeing it trickle down into home fashion shortly thereafter."
4. Earth tones. With many homeowners opting for an indoor-outdoor lifestyle, Wightman shared that incorporating earth tones in your home is an easy way to bring the outdoors in.
5. Monochromatic mood. High-contrast, monochromatic looks are rising in popularity, especially in the kitchen. "Pairing dark finishes with stark white or grey cabinets will be a very popular look in the new year," said Wightman.
6. Pastels and jewel tones. Bring on the baby blues, mint greens and blushing pinks. "We're calling these the 'ice cream cone' colors," said Crowder. "But if pastels aren't for you, bold jewel tones like emerald and sapphire are another popular option for the new year."
7. Unique finishes. Fun hardware finishes like black, rose gold and brass continue to gain popularity. "Black is a really important color for 2019 and you'll be seeing it pop up everywhere—from countertops to hardware and faucets," said Crowder.
8. Flower power. "We're seeing tons of floral patterns inspired by runway looks," Crowder said. "Florals are a top trend in the fashion world right now, so it makes sense that floral wallpaper is making a comeback."
9. Cozy comforts. Also inspired by fashion runways is the Danish hygge look. Comfortable, relaxed items like cozy and soft rugs, sofas and beds are replacing the stark, tailored look. "Taylor Morrison homebuyers are investing a bit more into their larger purchases in order to ensure quality and comfort. I like to say—buy once, cry once," said Crowder.
Take Taylor Morrison's 10-question quiz and find a move-in ready home to customize with these design trends here: https://www.taylormorrison.com/spectacular-spaces
About Taylor Morrison
Taylor Morrison Home Corporation (NYSE:TMHC) is a leading national homebuilder and developer that has been recognized as the 2016, 2017 and 2018 America's Most Trusted® Home Builder by Lifestory Research. Based in Scottsdale, Ariz., we operate under two well-established brands, Taylor Morrison and Darling Homes. We serve a wide array of consumer groups from coast to coast, including first-time, move-up, luxury, and 55 plus buyers. In Texas, Darling Homes builds communities with a focus on individuality and distinctive detail while delivering on the Taylor Morrison standard of excellence. For more information about Taylor Morrison and Darling Homes please visit www.taylormorrison.com or www.darlinghomes.com.
CONTACT: Alice Giedraitis
1 (480) 840-8137
SOURCE Taylor Morrison