REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 30, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that Telnyx, a leading provider of wholesale VoIP services, has partnered with Equinix to expand Telnyx's high-performance VoIP platform to Europe and Asia. By deploying an Interconnection Oriented ArchitectureTM (IOA™) with Equinix Performance Hub™ at the core, Telnyx is able to rapidly expand its network into Europe and Asia while dramatically improving overall network performance by more than 60 percent. As a part of this deployment, Telnyx is adding Performance Hub nodes in Equinix London and Hong Kong International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers.
Telnyx provides a cloud-based platform – Telephony Engine (TE) – that enables managed service providers and enterprises to buy wholesale telecommunications services, a la carte via their Mission Control portal and API. This cost-effective platform for VoIP services has grown significantly across North America, and now customers have turned to Telnyx to provide this service at a global scale. While VoIP can be a convenient and cost-effective communications strategy, in order for it to be truly beneficial, it must meet strict Quality of Service (QoS) requirements. By working with Equinix and deploying TE across a global Equinix Performance Hub, Telnyx was able to meet the demands of its customers while reducing average transmission latency by 16 percent and average network 'jitter' by 62 percent.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Equinix Performance Hub – an extension of a company's network into Equinix IBX data centers – is a solution that uniquely combines elements of data centers, networking infrastructure, and cloud computing access to improve application performance and deliver a globally consistent quality of experience to end users. Because Telnyx TE optimizes the route choice for each of its call sessions and routes it to the nearest infrastructure node, it was crucial for Telnyx to have Performance Hub nodes in key markets worldwide.
- Telnyx worked with Equinix to establish a five-node network connecting its three existing Performance Hub deployments in Chicago, Washington D.C. and Silicon Valley to those in London and Hong Kong. This enabled a powerful combination of the distributed TE architecture and seamless access to major Tier-1 internet service providers (ISPs) and cloud service providers (CSPs) wherever Telnyx deployed. Now customers will likely enter the network and have their call processed at the closest physical point of presence (POP) within their geographic region, ensuring the same, high-performance QoE regardless of location.
- Ian Reither, co-founder and COO, Telnyx
"The Equinix Interconnection Oriented Architecture strategy coupled with Telnyx's innovative Telephony Engine has improved the performance of our service by more than 60 percent. The benefits to our customers are clear: superior call quality, advanced features, fast setup, self-control and scalable service."
- Bryan Gabriel, CEO, Mainstream Fiber Networks (a Telnyx customer)
"Since moving to Telnyx, we have not had issues with connectivity or reliability on our voice services. By leveraging Telnyx's network and their relationship with Equinix, we have the redundancy and routing diversity we need to ensure that we can provide stable and quality voice calls. Through Telnyx's multiple points of presence, we have been able to reduce latency and jitter, in turn delivering reliable voice services 24/7."
- Bill Long, vice president of interconnection solutions, Equinix
"Providing high quality and feature-rich VoIP solutions that scale globally requires connections to a deep ecosystem of voice and data networks. At Equinix, our goal is to provide the interconnections necessary to allow Telnyx, and all of our customers, to succeed in the digital economy. The improvements in call quality that Telnyx was able to gain are a great example of the value of moving to an Interconnection Oriented Architecture at Equinix."
- Learn more about Platform Equinix [solution brief]
- Learn more about Equinix Performance Hub [solution brief]
- Equinix Interconnected Oriented Architecture [blog post]
- Learn more about Telnyx VoIP services [website]
Founded in 2009, Telnyx is a wholesale VoIP provider that enables its customers to connect with the more than 8 billion devices on the Global Public Switched Telephone Network. Telnyx enables its customers to "Be Their Own Carrier®" through its innovative multi-tenant portal and RESTful API. Telnyx's SIP trunking offering allows customers to buy their telecommunications services a la carte, and to scale services up and down on demand, so that they pay only for what they use. Telnyx offers a feature set that is at full feature parity with a traditional offering, providing not only termination and toll-free and geographic DIDs, but also CNAM, e911, LIBD listings, and more.
As a best-effort network, the Internet was not designed for voice; Telnyx leverages its expertise not only as a carrier, but also as an ISP to ensure calls stay off the public Internet for as long as possible. Telnyx's proprietary technology includes a distributed switch architecture, its own global MPLS backbone, and Tier-1 interconnects at major Internet hubs worldwide. Diversity, redundancy, resiliency – in that order – are how Telnyx ensures that mission-critical voice communications are delivered 99.999% of the time. www.telnyx.com
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.