BOSTON, June 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Today, men's demands for an incredibly comfortable shave have been answered as Procter & Gamble (NYSE: PG) announces the in-store arrival of new Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide™ razors and cartridges and Gillette Fusion ProSeries™ – the latest shaving and skin care products from the world's leading male grooming brand. Representing a significant advance in shaving performance, these innovative products have been developed to deliver on what men desire most to improve their shaving experience – incredible comfort.
Despite advances in shaving technology, according to internal research, sixty-five percent of men experience discomfort during and after shaving, especially when the blades tug and pull – causing a series of unwanted side effects, sometimes described by guys as irritation. Improving on Gillette Fusion, the world's best selling razor, Gillette continues to set the pace as the innovation leader in male grooming with Gillette Fusion ProGlide, featuring a redesigned cartridge with thinner, finer blade edges that glide through hair, reducing tug and pull. Consumer use testing shows that the Fusion ProGlide family is preferred at an up to 2-to-1 ratio over Gillette Fusion.
"The overwhelming consumer interest in these new technologies illustrates strong, continued demand for meaningful innovation in the male grooming category and for breakthrough products that really deliver on their promise," said Thom Lachman, Vice President, P&G Male Grooming North America. "Thousands of men all across America stepped forward to be the first to try these new products before they hit store shelves. At first, many were skeptical that we could improve on their current shave but after their first shave with Fusion ProGlide, many have become believers."
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Challenge
Recognizing widespread skepticism in the marketplace, Gillette was challenged with convincing guys that the new technology in Gillette Fusion ProGlide could make a meaningful difference in shaving comfort. In the months leading up to the broad retail availability, consumers were offered the opportunity to take part in a unique pre-launch trial program called the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Challenge. More than 130,000 product samples were distributed to men using popular social networking sites, websites and blogs, and consumers were encouraged to share their reviews with others. Consumers purchased Sneak Preview Packs that were available at retail locations, and many others preordered online at e-retailer sites.
The Gillette Fusion ProGlide Shave Studio, which kicked off in Times Square in New York City, featured a mobile studio that traveled to select cities in North America allowing men to be among the first to shave with Gillette Fusion ProGlide. Their reactions were recorded and can be seen online at http://www.youtube.com/gillette. Pre-launch advertising included online and TV. The TV ads featured the Gillette Young Guns NASCAR drivers, WWE® superstar John Cena and baseball All-Star Derek Jeter encouraging guys to take the ProGlide Challenge.
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Launch Advertising
The Gillette Fusion ProGlide and Gillette Fusion ProSeries launch will be supported by a robust marketing plan that consists of print, broadcast, multicultural and online advertising, public relations, sports marketing, in-store initiatives and social media campaigns. The national television spot features a host and camera crew 'invading' a locker room to encourage guys to try Gillette Fusion ProGlide and transform shaving into gliding. The testimonial commercials feature real consumers' reactions captured on camera when unsuspecting men tried Gillette Fusion ProGlide for the first time. The print and digital advertising also focuses on transforming skeptics into believers, and includes actual quotes from consumers who have tried Gillette Fusion ProGlide.
"The insight behind the Gillette Fusion ProGlide advertising is that guys are inherently skeptical and they need to feel it to believe it," said Toygar Bazarkaya, Executive Creative Director, BBDO New York. "The spots were shot to dramatize the moment of transformation when a guy becomes a believer by experiencing how Gillette Fusion ProGlide turns shaving into gliding."
Gillette's Most Comfortable Shave Guaranteed
As further reassurance to consumers of outstanding product performance, Gillette is offering a money back guarantee on Gillette Fusion ProGlide razors. Prior to launch, Gillette Fusion ProGlide withstood rigorous testing protocols and involved precise measurement instrumentation used in the aerospace, semiconductor and medical imaging categories.
Building on the breakthrough technology in Gillette Fusion, Gillette Fusion ProGlide incorporates a series of unique technologies that address critical areas for a better shave and deliver incredible comfort and performance:
- Low Cutting Force Blades: thinner, finer blades and our advanced low-resistance coating enabling the blades to cut effortlessly through hair with less tug and pull*.
- A Blade Stabilizer to maintain optimal blade spacing for comfort while allowing the blades to adjust to the contours of a man's face.
- A streamlined Snowplow Comfort Guard which channels excess shave prep to help maintain optimal blade contact, stretching the skin for a close, comfortable shave.
- A Larger Lubrastrip™ infused with mineral oil and lubricating polymers, enabling the razor to move smoothly over skin even on repeat strokes.
- An improved Precision Trimmer including an enhanced blade, a comb guard to better align long hairs, and new rinse-through slots.
- A Redesigned Handle with bigger, more ergonomic grips for better control and improved transition between front and back shaving surfaces.
- An innovative Microcomb, exclusively on Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power, that helps guide hair to the blade.
* Leading Blades vs. Fusion
Gillette Fusion ProSeries
Gillette Fusion ProSeries is an advanced line of skin care products that drives incredible comfort before, during and after the shave. Gillette's deep understanding of men, shaving and the science behind skin care has resulted in Gillette Fusion ProGlide and Gillette Fusion ProSeries, a combination that maximizes comfort and delivers an incredibly close shave.
- Gillette Fusion ProSeries Thermal Scrub gently warms, helps to clean and clear away dirt and oil and helps soften facial hair before shaving. In this innovative formula, heating technology is activated on contact with water to provide warming comfort; and a mild soap-free system cleans skin by removing oils (sebum) and dirt while helping to soften the hair, making it easier to cut. Small particles then help exfoliate dead, dry skin cells to help create an even, clear path for the razor.
- Gillette Fusion ProSeries Sensitive Face Wash is suitable for everyday use on sensitive skin, and uses a mild soap-free system formulated with aloe to effectively clean without over drying.
- Gillette Fusion ProSeries Intense Cooling Lotion instantly cools and hydrates just shaved skin for an incredibly comfortable end to your shave. Its Dual-Cooling complex is designed to extend the cooling effect without drying the skin and instantly hydrates to help soothe and refuel men's skin by sealing in moisture.
- Gillette Fusion ProSeries Instant Hydration UV Moisturizer + SPF15 is a lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer, with Vitamin E, Vitamin B3 and Pro-Vitamin B5 and SPF 15 UV Protection. The formula instantly hydrates skin and provides hydration throughout the day to help reduce dryness and tightness.
Gillette Fusion ProGlide and Gillette Fusion ProSeries are available in a range of traditional and online retail outlets in North America. Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual and Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power razors have a suggested retail price of $10.99 and $12.99 in the U.S., respectively. Gillette Fusion ProSeries products have a suggested retail price range of $6.99-$8.99 in the U.S.
About Procter & Gamble
Four billion times a day, P&G brands touch the lives of people around the world. The Company has one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Pampers®, Tide®, Ariel®, Always®, Whisper®, Pantene®, Mach3®, Bounty®, Dawn®, Gain®, Pringles®, Charmin®, Downy®, Lenor®, Iams®, Crest®, Oral-B®, Duracell®, Olay®, Head & Shoulders®, Wella®, Gillette®, Braun® and Fusion®. The P&G community includes approximately 135,000 employees working in about 80 countries worldwide. Please visit http://www.pg.com for the latest news and in-depth information about P&G and its brands.
SOURCE Procter & Gamble