SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) today announced that the University of San Diego has deployed DXi®-Series deduplication with vmPRO™ software to protect the school's virtual machine (VM) data, bringing data growth under control and dramatically reducing the school's reliance on disk storage through a new backup workflow. Based on the university's growth projections, the new system is anticipated to save $1.6 million over the next three years.
Fixing a Broken VM Backup Workflow
A technology trailblazer, the University of San Diego was among the first universities to virtualize its IT infrastructure, and today has a 98 percent virtual environment. While virtualization yielded tremendous cost savings, the volume of data quickly began to overwhelm the university's backup workflow, and it was eventually unable to meet backup windows.
Meeting Evolving Data Use Demands
Challenged to meet ever-increasing demands to use data in new and innovative ways – including the addition of new highly integrated systems and mobile applications that are so important to the students, faculty and staff at universities today – the university explored a variety of deduplication appliances and software solutions. The university ultimately chose the combination of a Quantum DXi appliance and vmPRO software for protecting VMware virtual environments, drawn to the system's "future proof" scalability.
As a purpose-built backup appliance, the DXi-Series is designed to be easy to implement and manage. The university immediately began seeing results after deploying it, achieving a 22:1 deduplication ratio and greatly improved restore times with the DXi appliance, which has proven highly reliable and cost-effective. The IT department also found the agentless vmPRO software easy to install, and, because it backs up data in native VMware format, the university is now protecting its virtual environment with greater availability and efficiency.
The IT department no longer struggles to meet the backup policies it sets and can confidently back up all of its data within established backup windows. Due to the cost savings resulting from the improved workflow and process delivered by Quantum technology, the university's systems architects are also now free to work on more strategic projects to advance the school's goals for the future. In addition, with DXi's cloud-ready capabilities, the university is exploring how it can leverage the cloud for replication and archive purposes.
- Christopher Wessells, Vice Provost and CIO, University of San Diego: "In speaking with CIOs or IT leaders about how they can improve their ability to back up, restore and protect data, I would recommend Quantum products. Quantum's DXi-Series and vmPRO software have been an absolute step forward for us. Any organization that has a VMware virtual environment and is facing challenges with backup not done in a timely manner can see huge improvements by implementing Quantum solutions."
- Robert Kelly, CEO and founder, Partners Data Systems: "Having offered Quantum for many years now, we've built the mutual trust to successfully provide reliable solutions that always meet and typically exceed our clients' expectations, like we did for University of San Diego. Quantum's sales and support teams are great to work with, and we very much value our partnership."
- Robert Clark, senior vice president, Product Operations, Quantum: "The University of San Diego's experience vividly illustrates what happens when traditional backup workflows break down under the weight of today's virtualized environments. Quantum's next-gen data protection solutions offer the simple scalability, high performance, and economic value that uniquely align with USD's strategic vision for the future."
University of San Diego fixes their broken #backup with DXi and vmPRO http://qntm.co/virtualsolutions via @QuantumCorp #virtualization #dedupe
- Learn more about the entire DXi-Series family: www.quantum.com/dxi
- Read more about vmPRO software: www.quantum.com/products/vmbackup/vmprosoftware/index.aspx
- To download full-featured vmPRO Standard Edition with 1 TB for free, visit: http://forms.quantum.com/Software/vmPRO/download.aspx
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they have the end-to-end storage foundation to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, Be Certain, DXi and vmPRO are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's DXi appliances and vmPRO software and 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances and software, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. More detailed information about these risk factors are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 6, 2014. Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
SOURCE Quantum Corp.