TOLEDO, Ohio, Sept. 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Welltower Inc. (NYSE: WELL), today announced that it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the first time and to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for the third consecutive year. Welltower is one of two U.S. based REITs and the only healthcare REIT to be listed to the World Index.
Launched in 1999, the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) are considered among the most important global indicators of sustainability leadership, evaluating companies on environmental, social and governance factors relevant to their industry. The World Index represents the top 10% of companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index in terms of their sustainability performance.
In addition, Welltower has achieved the following sustainability milestones over the past twelve months:
- Implemented a Supplier Code of Conduct which outlines environmental, social and governance best practices.
- Achieved Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) Green Star designation for the fourth consecutive year.
- Earned Silver Level status from the American Heart Association's 2018 Workplace Health Achievement Index for taking significant steps to build a culture of health in the workplace.
- Increased renewable energy consumption in the Outpatient Medical Portfolio to represent 8% of its annual energy usage in 2017, allowing Welltower to be designated as an EPA Green Power Partner.
- Received the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) Certified Sustainable Property certification at eleven medical office buildings, demonstrating quality, responsible management with a focus on sustainability and resource efficiency.
"Welltower is proud to join some of the world's leading companies such as General Motors, Bank of America and Lockheed Martin who have made sustainability a corporate priority," said Tom DeRosa, Welltower's Chief Executive Officer. "Our inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index as well as these other noted achievements are reflective of the commitment we feel to being a responsible global citizen as well as an industry trailblazer."
Welltower Inc. (NYSE: WELL), an S&P 500 company headquartered in Toledo, Ohio, is driving the transformation of health care infrastructure. The company invests with leading seniors housing operators, post-acute providers and health systems to fund the real estate infrastructure needed to scale innovative care delivery models and improve people's wellness and overall health care experience. Welltower®, a real estate investment trust ("REIT"), owns interests in properties concentrated in major, high-growth markets in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, consisting of seniors housing and post-acute communities and outpatient medical properties. More information is available at www.welltower.com.
For more information on Welltower's sustainability efforts, please visit the 2017 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, available at: www.welltower.com/responsbility
SOURCE Welltower Inc.