ORLANDO, Fla., March 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- (Booth #501) – West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. (NYSE: WST), a global leader in innovative solutions for injectable drug administration, today announced it will showcase Daikyo's new innovation – the DAIKYO PLASCAP® RUV one-step press-fit vial closure solution for serum applications – at the Parenteral Drug Association (PDA) Annual Meeting. DAIKYO PLASCAP RUV features an integrated stopper and plastic cap, offered in nested configuration for small-batch filling. The closure system offers an alternative to aluminum seals. West will work closely with Daikyo to distribute DAIKYO PLASCAP RUV products.
"From our long history as a trusted partner for pharmaceutical companies and emerging innovators around the world, we understand the challenges of bringing small batches of pharmaceutical therapies to market safely and efficiently," said Karen Flynn, Senior Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer, West. "By offering single-step assembly for the flexi-filling and containment of injectables, the DAIKYO PLASCAP RUV closure is an ideal, high-quality and cost-effective solution. We are pleased to introduce the PLASCAP RUV closure as the latest offering from our collaboration with Daikyo Seiko, Ltd. to help customers mitigate drug product development risks and enhance patient safety."
Kunihiro Noto, Daikyo Seiko Managing Director, said, "PLASCAP provides manufacturers with a new closure system that integrates an elastomer closure in a plastic cap. The closure is a revolutionary nested and sterile closure designed to be used with nested and sterile vials in compatible robotic filling systems. This enables conventional filling procedures, including stoppering and capping, to be done simultaneously. In addition to this convenience, PLASCAP eliminates the possibilities of aluminum contamination. PLASCAP, manufactured by Daikyo's technology with automation system in a clean manufacturing environment, is a key innovation in injectable packaging systems. We are proud to partner with West to contribute a next-generation solution to the pharmaceutical fill finish process unit operations."
Available in nested 13mm and 20mm vial sizes, the DAIKYO PLASCAP RUV vial closure includes the following features:
- Integrated Flurotec® laminated stopper and plastic cap system are manufactured in a Daikyo ISO 7 clean room to control particulate cleanliness and bioburden
- Available in a ready-for-use, sterile format
- One-step, press-fit vial closure process integrates seamlessly into primary container fill/finish assembly processes
- Nested PLASCAP formats match integrated solutions of nested vials for aseptic filling of nested glass vials
In addition to the DAIKYO PLASCAP RUV system, the following West technologies will be on display at the PDA Annual Meeting:
- SmartDose® drug delivery platform—A wearable, subcutaneous injector with an integrated drug delivery system that incorporates human factors and usability testing to deliver a truly patient-centric approach to self-administration.
- SelfDose™ patient-controlled injector—An award-winning, off-the-shelf delivery system that is ergonomically designed for optimal patient administration.
- NovaPure® components—High-quality components designed using Quality by Design (QbD) principles to reduce particulate and ensure consistency of delivery.
- Daikyo Crystal Zenith® containment & delivery systems—High-performance alternatives to glass and integrated lifecycle solutions for containment and delivery systems designed to help maintain drug safety, purity and efficacy from development through commercialization.
West will also share scientific insights in the following poster presentations, taking place March 20 and 21, from 10:00 – 10:45 a.m. in the exhibit hall:
- Determining Performance Improvements by Quality by Design Plungers for Syringes in Auto-Injector Systems, presented by Page McAndrew, PhD, Director, Scientific Communications, West
- Impact of Selected Elements on the Accelerated Stability of Human Lysozyme, presented by Erica Tullo, PhD, Technology Manager, Extractables and Leachables, West
For more information on West products and services, please visit booth #501 at the PDA Annual Meeting or visit us online at www.westpharma.com.
West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. is a leading manufacturer of packaging components and delivery systems for injectable drugs and healthcare products. Working by the side of its customers from concept to patient, West creates products that promote the efficiency, reliability and safety of the world's pharmaceutical drug supply. West is headquartered in Exton, Pennsylvania, and supports its customers from locations in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. West's 2017 net sales of $1.6 billion reflect the daily use of approximately 112 million of its components and devices, which are designed to improve the delivery of healthcare to patients around the world.
West and the diamond logo, By your side for a healthier world™ and SelfDose™ are registered trademarks or trademarks of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., in the United States and other jurisdictions.
West markets SelfDose™ as a multi-component system only. Final assembly of the prefilled component is completed by the pharmaceutical company.
SmartDose® is a registered trademark of West Pharma. Services IL, Ltd., a subsidiary of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. West seeks partners for its SmartDose drug delivery technology platform. The platform is intended to be used as an integrated system with drug filling and final assembly completed by the pharmaceutical/biotechnology company.
NovaPure® is a registered trademark of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., in the United States and other jurisdictions.
Crystal Zenith®, PLASCAP® and Flurotec® are registered trademarks of Daikyo Seiko, Ltd. Daikyo Crystal Zenith technology is licensed from Daikyo Seiko, Ltd.
West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
SOURCE West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.