AUSTIN, Texas, April 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Those who plan to buy mom a gift on her special day will go to great lengths to make sure she feels loved. According to a recent survey by RetailMeNot, an estimated 70% of shoppers plan to buy a Mother's Day gift this year, spending an average of $58. Finding the ideal gift, however, isn't always a walk in the park. Nearly 1 in 5 say it's hard to find mom the perfect gift, but it turns out mom knows exactly what she wants. Here are five things she wants this year.
1. Flowers – Flowers top the list in terms of what mom is getting for Mother's Day. Nearly half (48%) of shoppers plan to purchase flowers. 1800-Flowers is a perfect place to start on your hunt for a bouquet fit for her. Right now, the company is offering 15% off flowers and gifts.
2. Dining Out – Treating mom to a special dinner isn't as cliché as you may think. Of those surveyed, 43% are hoping that they'll be taken out to a fancy dinner at a nice restaurant. But you don't have to shell out too much cash to have dinner with mom. "A nice dinner at home is a great alternative to making a reservation somewhere," says shopping and trends expert Sara Skirboll. "Sign up for a meal delivery service like HelloFresh and receive $40 off your first order plus free shipping."
3. Gift Card – When you know her favorite store but aren't sure what her exact style is, a gift card can do the trick. In fact, 41% of moms say a gift card is a great Mother's Day gift. In lieu of a physical gift to give her, letting her choose what she wants is a nice, thoughtful gesture. "You can save on an eGift card purchase while still gifting your mom the full amount," explains Skirboll. "Visit RetailMeNot to find discount gift cards up to 20% off."
4. Jewelry – Despite popular belief, only nearly 3 in 10 (28%) moms would love to receive jewelry, sparkly or otherwise. If you don't want to spend too much, Skirboll suggests making something yourself. "Get the whole family together to create a DIY piece of jewelry made from your local arts and crafts store. Hobby Lobby has tons of great finds and the company has a deal for 40% off one item to help you impress mom for less."
5. Beauty – Just over 1 in 4 (27%) moms say beauty products are sure to make her day that much more special. And there are plenty of ways to get creative in this category. "Nail polish, hand cream and a facial mask tucked into a pair of cozy slippers is just one simple and inexpensive way to get mom a gift that she'll enjoy," says Skirboll. Everything from lipsticks to essential oils and sleeping masks can be found at Ulta, which is offering $3.50 off $15 in time for Mother's Day.
The RetailMeNot Q1 2017 survey was conducted between February 2 through 5, 2017, among 1,028 nationally representative Americans ages 18 and over, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas are set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the entire U.S. population ages 18 and over. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation and are estimated. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. In this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. The margin of error for any subgroups will be slightly higher.
About RetailMeNot, Inc.
RetailMeNot, Inc. (https://www.retailmenot.com/corp/) is a leading savings destination connecting consumers with retailers, restaurants and brands, both online and in-store. The company enables consumers across the globe to find hundreds of thousands of digital offers to save money while they shop or dine out. During the 12 months ended December 31, 2016, RetailMeNot, Inc. experienced over 650 million visits to its websites. It also averaged 23.1 million mobile unique visitors per month during the three months ended December 31, 2016. RetailMeNot, Inc. estimates that approximately $4.4 billion in retailer sales were attributable to consumer transactions from paid digital offers in its marketplace in 2016, more than $600 million of which were attributable to its in-store solution. The RetailMeNot, Inc. portfolio of websites and mobile applications includes RetailMeNot.com in the United States; RetailMeNot.ca in Canada; VoucherCodes.co.uk in the United Kingdom; ma-reduc.com and Poulpeo.com in France; and GiftCardZen.com and Deals2Buy.com in North America.
SOURCE RetailMeNot, Inc.