WUXI, China, Oct. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE :CAT ) announced today that the company's multi-functional research & development (R&D) center in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, has been awarded Gold certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design in the new construction category (LEED-NC).
The Wuxi R&D Center, a wholly-owned Caterpillar subsidiary, is the headquarters and main branch of Caterpillar R&D Center (China), Ltd. To support growing operations in China and the Asia Pacific region, the new 10,000-square-meter, state-of-the-art facility was constructed in Wuxi New District during 2009, with a strong focus on environmental impact and energy-efficient design.
"We are proud to have achieved LEED Gold certification for our new Wuxi R&D Center facility. This designation highlights Caterpillar's leadership in energy management, waste, material and water usage, promoting sustainable development and innovation," said Brian X. Sun, Director of Caterpillar's Product Development & Global Technology Division with responsibility for China R&D Center.
LEED is an internationally recognized third-party green building certification system. Developed by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), LEED provides independent verification that a building was designed and built using strategies aimed at improving energy savings, water efficiency, stewardship of resources and other relevant metrics.
Tana Utley, Caterpillar Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of the Product Development & Global Technology Division added, "Caterpillar is committed to sustainable development as we expand our global R&D footprint. We work today to make our world better for future generations."
Caterpillar has incorporated a variety of sustainable ideas in the design and construction of its new Wuxi R&D Center facility, making it a unique, high-performance building. LEED promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas: sustainable sites, water savings, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources and indoor environmental quality. The following are highlights of the Wuxi R&D Center facility:
- Sustainable site with public transportation access; reduced heat island effect; lighting pollution control
- Energy Efficiency & Water Saving: optimized energy performance; enhanced refrigerant management; installed low-flow toilets and rainwater reuse
- Materials & Resources: construction waste management, divert 50 percent from disposal; use of more than 15 percent recycled materials; more than 50 percent of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood
- Innovation & Design Process: sustainability education, water use reduction and high reflectance roof
- Indoor Environmental Quality: low-emitting materials, paints and coatings, adhesives and sealants; use of non-toxic paints and carpet; 75 percent space with daylighting
More information on the LEED green building certification system is available at www.usgbc.org/LEED.
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making progress possible and driving positive and sustainable change on every continent. With 2009 sales and revenues of $32.396 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company also is a leading services provider through Caterpillar Financial Services, Caterpillar Remanufacturing Services, Caterpillar Logistics Services and Progress Rail Services. More information is available at: http://www.cat.com.
SOURCE Caterpillar Inc.