WASHINGTON, April 25, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- https://onsafety.cpsc.gov/blog/2017/04/25/cpsc-launches-consumer-protection-safety-all-stars-an-educational-and-outreach-program-for-kids/
We're launching a new effort at CPSC to teach kids in grades 3-7 (ages 8-12) how to identify hazardous products and the way recalls work. The educational outreach offers free materials and lesson plans to teachers and youth community leaders. Once kids complete the program activities, they earn a "Consumer Protection Safety All-Star" certificate.
Anyone may access and download the materials for free at www.ymiclassroom.com/cpsc.
Kids will learn:
- why and how products are determined to be unsafe or hazardous,
- how to determine if a product has been recalled, and
- how they may use what they've learned to teach their families, friends and communities about consumer product safety.
Who may use the educational materials:
- Elementary and middle school teachers and homeschoolers who are planning their lessons for the next school year have everything they need in one place on the classroom microsite.
- This is also a fun, new activity for community youth leaders to share in youth groups.
The program materials include:
- A teacher's guide
- Five activity sheets
- A PowerPoint presentation and script to be used with the teacher's guide
- Two handouts for use at home (also available in Spanish)
- A certificate of completion
- Program microsite at www.ymiclassroom.com/cpsc
We encourage you to share this program with teachers, homeschoolers and youth leaders in your community. You may download the materials directly from the classroom microsite and make as many copies as you need. Go Consumer Product Safety All-Stars!
Please use the phone numbers below for all media requests.
SOURCE U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission