TOKYO, Oct. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc., the global interconnection and data center company, announced today that it has completed the second phase expansion of its tenth International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Tokyo, known as TY5. Phase two adds an additional 375 cabinets to the facility, bringing the total capacity of the data center to 725 cabinets. The second phase expansion follows the opening of TY5 in March of this year and represents a total investment of US$43M in the facility.
This announcement highlights Equinix's continued investment in Asia-Pacific, as well as demand from local and global companies wanting to benefit from leading interconnection services in Japan, particularly across the cloud and financial sectors. Equinix plays a critical role in supporting the interconnected era, underpinning digital economies and enabling businesses to accelerate their performance for continued success and growth. In 2016, it has opened four new IBX data centers in Dallas, São Paulo, Sydney and Tokyo, creating more capacity for global companies to connect with their partners, customers and employees.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The expansion of TY5 follows Equinix's acquisition of Bit-isle, a leading Japanese data center and managed service provider, which more than doubled the company's footprint in Japan. The move means both domestic and international enterprise customers can now benefit from Equinix's increased presence in the country, spanning 10 data centers in Tokyo and two in Osaka.
- The completion of the phase two expansion will support growing customer demand for carrier neutral data centers with direct connectivity to Equinix's financial ecosystem in TY3. TY5 is in close proximity to the Japan Exchange and Tokyo Commodity Exchange, providing financial services companies with reliable, low-latency connectivity to key financial institutions and business partners.
- TY5 enables domestic and multinational companies to expand into the growing Japan market, providing them with access to over 1,400 domestic and international network providers within Platform Equinix™.
- Platform Equinix now includes over 146 data centers in 40 markets around the world.
- TY5 was recently awarded the LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System™ Gold Certification for its high building standards. The award recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices across seven categories: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality, Innovation in Design and Regional Priority.
- Kei Furuta, managing director, Equinix Japan:"Our continued growth in Japan highlights strong demand for a global interconnection platform that can support those wanting to expand in the Asia-Pacific region. I would like to thank our founding partners and customers who have contributed to the successful launch and expansion of TY5."
- Equinix Tokyo data centers [website]
- Equinix TY5 IBX data center [video]
- Equinix opens new data center in Tokyo [press release]
Equinix, Inc. connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
"This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release."
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.