CHICAGO, June 26, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The recent solstice marks the start of the summer season, which means we've hit the halfway mark of the year! Grubhub, the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering and delivery marketplace, today launched its latest report, "State of the Plate." Using data from more than half a million orders placed on an average day through its platform, Grubhub's mid-year report checks in on the popular food trends so far, predicts what we can expect to see more of in the second half of the year, and provides an update on where some of the "trendier" foods actually stand. One fact that's clear: vegan & vegetarian options are here to stay.
Key takeaways include:
VEGAN OPTIONS ARE HERE TO STAY:
As we highlighted in our 2018 "Year in Food" report, we know plant-based options are on the rise across America, and we're seeing this trend in delivery as well. Orders of vegan-friendly foods on the Grubhub platform increased by 25% so far in 2019 (as compared to Jan-May 2018), with orders for the Impossible Burger specifically rising overall by 82%.
Vegan Meccas: Grubhub also looked at the areas ordering the most vegan foods & found these made the list:
- Los Angeles, CA
- Brooklyn, NY
- Portland, OR
- Las Vegas, NV
- Rochester, NY
- Philadelphia, PA
- Detroit, MI
- San Diego, CA
Methodology: To determine the top places for vegans, Grubhub evaluated a variety of factors using data available through its platform, including the number of vegan restaurants, ratings, order volume, and overall number of vegan items available on Grubhub in each respective city as compared to the rest of the country.
SEASONAL FAVORITES & FORECASTS:
Whether it's heartier foods to keep you warm in winter or lighter bites for spring as you enter the warmer months, each season has food they're known for among diners. But what's to come for summer and fall? What we found below may surprise you!
Top Trends: Winter
- chicken shish kabob: 240% more popular
- chicken tinga: 131% more popular
- spicy potato taco: 111% more popular
- mushroom stroganoff: 90% more popular
- cuban picadillo empanadas: 85% more popular
Top Trends: Spring
- cauliflower bites: 536% more popular
- ahi tuna salad: 467% more popular
- mixed berry acai bowls: 411% more popular
- chicken poblano : 336% more popular
- quinoa taco: 285% more popular
Forecasts: Summer (in ranking order)
- barbecue pork buns
- truffle parm frie
- quinoa & arugula salad
Forecasts: Fall (in ranking order)
- pesto pasta
- fried okra
- lemongrass soup
Methodology: For "Top Trends," Grubhub took a look at the top foods on the Grubhub platform from winter (Dec 21, 2018 - March 20, 2019) and spring (March 20 - June 8, 2019) as compared to the same timeframe in 2018 to find the top items rising in popularity. For "Forecasted" items, Grubhub looked at the top foods on the Grubhub platform over the past two years, recently trending items, and other seasonal favorites to forecast what America will indulge in this summer & fall.
BREAKING IT DOWN BY REGIONS: FAVORITES TO DATE
We know everywhere in the U.S. has their own taste, so Grubhub took a look at its most popular foods so far in 2019 across the four regions. To break it down: the Midwest kept it vegan- and vegetarian-friendly, the Northeast mixed it up with a classic making an appearance, the South stayed with seafood, and the West had a mix of "meat" options.
- Impossible Burger: 326% more popular
- cheese quesadilla: 144% more popular
- waffle fries: 135% more popular
- harvest bowl : 340% more popular
- guay tiew pad see eiw: 319% more popular
- bagel and egg sandwich : 204% more popular
- shrimp linguini alfredo: 273% more popular
- baked potato soup : 236% more popular
- new england clam chowder: 185% more popular
- glazed baby back rib: 412% more popular
- pork burrito: 208% more popular
- Impossible Burger: 194% more popular
Methodology: Grubhub took a look at the top foods on its platform from the specified regions from Jan 1-May 31, 2019 as compared to the same timeframe in 2018 to find the top items rising in popularity.
CHECKING IN ON OUR FAVORITE MEALS
Since we took a look at some of the top meals in our 2018 "Year in Food" report, we've seen some changes so far in 2019! Breakfast is leaning a bit more indulgent, dessert is a little chillier, and our late-night favorites lead a vegan option!
Breakfast: it's all about the salty & sweet combo.
- chicken & waffles: 219% more popular
- sausage egg & cheese biscuit: 179% more popular
- pancakes & bacon: 145% more popular
Dessert: who says ice cream won't deliver well?!
- brownie sundae: 273% more popular
- cake batter frozen yogurt : 232% more popular
- donut ice cream sandwich : 217% more popular
Late-night: it's 2019 when a vegan burger leads the late-night trend!
- Impossible Burger: 529% more popular
- steak quesadilla: 447% more popular
- mashed potatoes & gravy: 325% more popular
Methodology: Grubhub took a look at the top foods on its platform for the specified mealtimes/food types below from January-May 2019 as compared to the same timeframe in 2018 to find the top items rising in popularity.
Grubhub (NYSE: GRUB) is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering and delivery marketplace with the largest and most comprehensive network of restaurant partners, as well as the largest diner base. Dedicated to connecting diners with the food they love from their favorite local restaurants, Grubhub strives to elevate food ordering through innovative restaurant technology, easy-to-use platforms and an improved delivery experience. Grubhub is proud to work with more than 115,000 restaurant partners in over 2,200 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, LevelUp, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages.