CLEVELAND, Jan. 18, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- With COVID-19 expected to continue impacting daily habits at least through 2021, the $9 billion US lawn and garden consumables market will continue to benefit from people spending more time at home:
- One of the biggest impacts of the pandemic has been the increased amount of time people spent in their yards, with DIY home gardening and landscaping projects among consumers' favorite quarantine activities.
- Though professional sales of lawn and garden consumables dipped in many markets due to business closures and other economic factors stemming from the pandemic, consumer sales spiked.
- The focus on outdoor living is expected to rise even higher in 2021 and beyond as remote work becomes more common in the post-pandemic world, supporting longer term growth opportunities in the consumer market for lawn and garden consumables.
Consumer Market Holds Strong Long-Term Growth Potential
Although some households will return to pre-pandemic gardening habits once the virus is under greater control and the rate of new hobbyists entering the market slows, many will stay engaged with hobbies they took up in lockdown, such as gardening. As a result, lawn and garden product suppliers are looking to position themselves to make the most of the opportunity. For example:
- In January 2021, CRH's Oldcastle APG unit – a supplier of landscaping and gardening products such as pavers, composite decking, bagged concrete, masonry supplies, mulch, soil, and potting mixes – acquired CST, a regional producer of bagged mulches and soils in the Midwest.
- In December 2020, Central Garden & Pet (the third leading supplier of lawn and garden consumables in the US in 2019) announced the acquisition of Green Garden, a leading supplier of vegetable, herb, and flower seed packets, seed starters, and plant nutrients in North America.
Want to Learn More?
Lawn & Garden Consumables is now available from The Freedonia Group. This study covers the US market for lawn and garden consumables, which include packaged consumable products used in the maintenance of turf, gardens, borders, and other outside areas. Demand by product, market, and end user is shown at the manufacturers' level. Sales by product, end user, and distributor include distributor and retailer markups. Historical data (2009, 2014, and 2019) and forecasts for 2024 and 2029 are provided for lawn and garden consumables in current dollars.
- solid (or dry) – including granules, powders, spikes
- herbicides (selective or nonselective; pre-emergent or post-emergent)
- animal repellents
- growing media
- packaged soil (potting soil, garden soil, topsoil, planting mix, soilless potting mixes)
- soil amendments (bark, charcoal, compost, humus, limestone, manure, peat, perlite, sand, sphagnum peat moss, and vermiculite)
- seeds (lawn and turf, including sod; flowers, shrub, and other ornamentals; vegetables, herbs and other edible gardening)
- mulch and other ground covers
- wood mulch and chips (conventional and colored)
- rubber mulch
- other mulch and ground coverings
- other lawn and garden consumables, such as growth regulators, pH controls, stump removers, and biostimulants
- golf courses
- government and institutional
- commercial and industrial
- commercial nurseries and garden centers, and other markets such as sod farms, cemeteries, and turf areas in privately owned sports venues
Distribution channels include:
- home centers
- mass merchandisers
- garden centers
- mail order/internet
- hardware and feed stores
End users include:
- lawn and landscaping service firms
- landscaping and maintenance employees at golf courses and commercial, government, and institutional locations
- nurseries and sod farms
About The Freedonia Group – The Freedonia Group, a division of MarketResearch.com, is a leading international industrial research company publishing more than 100 studies annually. Since 1985 we have provided research to customers ranging in size from global conglomerates to one-person consulting firms. More than 90% of the industrial companies in the Fortune 500 use Freedonia Group research to help with their strategic planning. Each study includes product and market analyses and forecasts, in-depth discussions of important industry trends, and market share information. Studies can be purchased at www.freedoniagroup.com and are also available on www.marketresearch.com and www.profound.com.
SOURCE The Freedonia Group