HUNT VALLEY, Md., April 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- What's influencing popular flavors on the grill this summer? Big spice profiles, regional American twists, adventurous global and Latino inspirations and new tart-sweet combinations will be stoking the fires for a delicious grilling season – as shown in the new McCormick® Grill Mates® and Lawry's® Flavor Forecast® 2011: Grilling Edition.
As grilling heats up, 73 percent of today's grillers say they are looking for the latest trends and techniques. In fact, three quarters of them like to layer flavors and ingredients.(1)
"Bolder, more exciting tastes reach an absolute fever pitch during grilling season. Backyard cooks are more willing to try different flavor combinations, for example combining various chiles with grilled veggies, and fruits with rich spices," said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens.
The McCormick Grill Mates and Lawry's Flavor Forecast 2011: Grilling Edition has identified four trends that are firing up flavor this season:
- The New Tart 'n Sweet – Palates across the country are waking up to the uplifting excitement of sour ingredients. Grill-side, these foods find invigorating partners in fruits and naturally sweet flavors.
- Regional American Fire – Unique local ingredients and proud regional techniques are gaining a new level of acclaim and influence.
- Hot, Hotter, Hottest! – From earthy ancho to smoky chipotle to the red hot pop of cayenne –grillers are creating dynamic taste experiences by mixing and matching heat and flavor.
- Flames of Adventure – Backyard chefs of all skill levels are more willing than ever to try something new on the grates. With daring flavor combinations and a hunger for excitement, they're exploring new global frontiers at the grill.
According to the report, these trends will come to life in deliciously distinctive duos. Several of these have Latino influences, including:
- Fiery Peppers & Grilled Corn – No matter what level of heat you're seeking, a mash-up of peppers packs maximum impact. Sweet and smoky grilled corn delivers just the right contrast to offset the heat.
- TRY IT: Ancho Adobo Tacos de Bistec with Grilled Corn & Tomatillo Salsa
- Paprika & Orange – Colorful, sweet paprika meets the citrusy pop of orange to create a range of grill party favorites with an international flair – spanning Latin, North African, Spanish and more.
- TRY IT: Yucatan-style Pork Chop with Fresh Orange and Avocado Frisse
- Smoke & Craft Brews – Regional beers are gutsy partners for the BBQ-inspired smoke notes that are being cleverly infused through a range of smoky ingredients and techniques.
- TRY IT: Brewpub Burgers with Caramelized Chipotle Onions
For more information about McCormick, visit www.mccormick.com.
(1) Grilling Attitude & Usage and Segmentation Study, deKadt Marketing and Research, Inc. 2010.
Since 1889, a passion for flavor has driven McCormick & Company, Inc. to provide the highest quality flavors to the world, inspiring trust and a spirit of adventure in kitchens everywhere. Our team of researchers, trend experts, chefs, kitchens, food technologists and sensory analysts has identified emerging flavors for more than a decade through the McCormick® Flavor Forecast,® a catalyst for flavor innovation throughout the food industry. To learn more, visit flavorforecast.com, mccormick.com, or Facebook.com/McCormickSpice.
SOURCE McCormick & Company, Inc.